Buildings and Businesses of Broadway

Abbot’s Grange, Church Street

The Grange was built c1320 by William de Harvington, Abbot of Pershore. The Grange was restored by the American artist Francis ‘Frank’ Millet who lived at Farnham House and used the building as his studio. 

Abbot’s Grange, Church Street

Abbot’s Grange Cottages, Church Street: formerly two cottages, now one cottage.

Acton House: the former Co-op.

Alderton Lodge: now part of the Lygon Arms (the brasserie).

Aldington Lodge: located next to Broadway Close

Argyle Parade, Leamington Road: now Ashmore’s and Cotswold Building Supplies

Austin House, Church Streetthe house was built in the early 1700s. It was once the home of Lord and Lady Lifford.

Bankside: Built in 1860, the home of the Hensley family and of Mr Jolly’s waggon and haulage business.

Bannits: Church Street: was the Baker’s Arms until 1912. Owned by Mr & Mrs Rees Price (with gardens designed by Alfred Parsons), Mr & Mrs Peter Lidner and the Juckes family.

Barn House: Originally built for Mr Jones, a baker in 1657. The house and barn were later converted by Mr G.B. Game (Mrs Folkes worked for the Game family). Other residents: Major Tristram (Fred Pendrey was his chauffeur) and Mrs Maudsley whose son, Squadron Leader Henry E. Maudslay, DFC (1921-1943) was killed during a Dambuster raid in 1943.

Bell Yard: c1700 once a coaching inn.

Belleview: Meadow Cottage, the end of Morris Road.

The Bindery: From 1907, bookbinder Miss Katharine Adams. Also Nason and Milne and used to hold Sunday School meetings.

Broad Close: Once the home of Isaac Averill, Bill Scott and the Keil family.

Broadway Mill: in 1528, the mill was rented by William Hannow.

Broadway Pottery (Lower Fold, Keytes Lane)

Brown’s Bakery, 14 The Green: Bakery, tobacconist and confectioner’s.

Buckland Villa

Cambria House: Colonel Henry Sidney, DSO, Dr & Mrs Houghton and Major & Mrs Fanshawe (Master of the North Cotswold Hunt).

China Square: The two cottages to the left of the entrance to Springfield Lane. Before the Second World War the cottages were occupied by Nurse Bricknell and the Sollis family. It is believed that the cottages became known as China Square as a former resident was an amateur potter and a kiln is present among the brickwork.

Clump Farm

Coach & Horses: A farm until 1837 when it was converted in to a pub.

Colletts Tea Rooms and Gardens

Copgrove, West End: a farmhouse was built in the 16th century and later converted into two cottages. The cottages were dismantled and a single dwelling, turned through 90 degrees was rebuilt (from 1906 to 1910) by architects, Charles Bateman and George Henry Hunt, for Mr G. Sewell. Mr & Mrs Pierce Duncombe later lived at Copgrove.

The Court, Snowshill Road: consists of a 16th century gatehouse for a mansion or court that once existed to the east.

Court Farm: Originally two farms. Purchased by Mr & Mrs de Navarro in 1893.

Cowley House: owned by Mr & Mrs R.B. Harbidge, Bill Clifton and the Kemp family.

Dickens House/Sands Farm: home of the Dickins family until the mid 1770s.

Farnham House  (Farnham Villa)

Fencote (see Roseville): Miss Massie lived at the house and ran it as a guesthouse. The house burnt down in January 1935 (Miss Massie escaped unhurt, saved by Mr H. Ellis). Also used as Steward’s Yard.

The Fish Garage: owned by the Jones family in the 1960s when it sold Esso petrol and secondhand cars and vans.

Fish Inn

The Fish Inn, Broadway Hill
The Fish Inn, Broadway Hill (now Fish Hill)

Fleabank or Shakespeare’s Cottages: many of the families who lived in the cottages were involved in glovemaking.

Fleabank, Shakespeare’s Cottages, Broadway
Fleabank, High Street

Forge House: one of the oldest cottages in the village.

Fox Yard

Grey Gables: Originally known as ‘Gables’, the house dates back to the 17th century. Once the home of Sir Keyte, Mrs Ellison. Hon. R. Ward.

Happylands: Mr Taylor. Capt. Alan Samuel Butler (1898-1987).

Heeks Yard, High Street: behind Monk’s House

The Hollyhocks (also Ivy House and Broadway Hotel).

The Hollyhocks also known as Ivy House now the Broadway Hotel

Hunters Lodge: also known previously as Ballybroust and Trinafour. Once owned by W.B. Game (of Barn House), Sir Andrew Skeen, and Kurt and Dottie Friendli who ran it as a restaurant and guesthouse.

Ivy House (also The Hollyhocks and the Broadway Hotel).

Kylsant House, Church Street: built by Tom Phillipps, the father of Sir Thomas Phillipps and named after a relative of the family. Once the home of; the author, Joan Fleming, Charles McNeill, Master of the North Cotswold Fox Hounds, and Audrey Withers, editor of Vogue.

Lifford Memorial Hall: built in 1915 in memory of Lord Lifford.

Low Farm: bought by Russell’s in 1920 as a showroom.

Lower Fold, Keyte’s Lane (see Broadway Pottery)

Lower Mill, Cheltenham Road

Luggers Hill, Springfield Lane, now Luggers Hall.

Lygon Arms formerly known as The White Hart: The first written record of the Lygon Arms dates back to 1377 when it was referred to as the White Hart. The hart, the personal symbol of King Richard II (1367-1400).

After Richard’s usurpation by his cousin Henry IV, the inn changed its name in 1400 to the White Swan (the swan a symbol of the House of Lancaster). Under Henry’s Lancastrian son, Henry V, the inn took on the name the Hart and Swan. However, Records from 1530 and Parish Records of 1532 record Thomas White, a local wool merchant, as the landlord of The White Hart.

In the reign of James I the inn was known as The George but by 1620 records show it was being referred to as The Swan again and by 1641 it had reverted back to The White Hart.

From 1604 to 1641 the landlord was John Trevis. He added the front door with its stone arch in 1620 upon which his initials, along with those of his wife, Ursula, are carved.

In the 18th century, the Inn became an important staging post for coaches travelling through Broadway along the main road from London to Worcester and Wales. To cope with the volume of business, the White Hart Inn was expanded and stabling for over 30 horses was built. The landlord at this time was Giles Atwood, who was commended for his fine management by Lord Torrington, a recognised diarist, and after whom the Lygon’s Torrington Room is named.

After 1815, Captain, later Major, Edward Lygon, an officer at Waterloo and son of the first Earl Beauchamp of Madresfield, who had purchased the nearby Springhill Estate, owned the inn and it was managed by his steward Charles Drury. Its name was subsequently changed to the Lygon Arms (recorded as such in the 1841 Census of Broadway). Charles Drury purchased the inn in 1867 and it remained in the Drury family until 1903 when it was purchased by Sidney Bolton Russell at the cost of £6,000.

In 1910 a major development was initiated by Sydney Russell. He employed Sir Aston Webb to construct a Great Hall over the hotel’s garden and the old 18th century assembly room. Webb, who had designed the Queen Victoria Memorial in front of Buckingham Palace, incorporated a salvaged 17th century barrel-vaulted ceiling into what is now the hotel’s dining room.

After World War I the premises of the Capital and County, Broadway’s first bank, were incorporated into the hotel. The ground floor of this extension served first as a Buttery and since 2013 it has been used as a Brasserie.

During the 1930s, Russell passed the management of the Lygon to his son Donald. Soon after he took over, the Second World War broke out. Among these visiting servicemen at the time was an Australian, Douglas Barrington. In 1945, after the war had ended, Barrington returned to The Lygon Arms and was appointed to the Board of Directors in 1946 and later Managing Director in 1956.

In 1986, the Savoy Group acquired the Lygon Arms at a cost of £4.7million. Kirk Ritchie was appointed Managing Director and General Manager, having been at the hotel since 1975.

The Malt House: Originally two cottages until 1893 when it was altered by Mrs Griffin. Axel Munthe then Colonel Henry Sidney, DSO (1879-1954) also lived at the house.

Middle Hill: Built by William Taylor, Recorder of Evesham in 1724.

Midland Bank Cottages: Mr & Mrs Fridlington, Steward.

Milestone House

Milestone House, Broadway
Milestone House (far left), High Street

Mill Hay, Snowshill Road: built c1651 as Upper Mill. It was bought by Mrs Chesterman (the daughter of Lord Carson) in the 1930s.

The Old Curiosity Shop

The Old Curiosity Shop, Broadway
The Old Curiosity Shop, High Street

The Old Schoolrooms, High Street

Orchard Farm House: Once home to Lady Maud Bowes-Lyon, Sir Gerald Nabarro MP and the Misses Barrie.

Orchard Farm, High Street

Pear Tree House: Once school under Dr Parry. Miss Webb-Johnson, Morgan and Bland- Sutton.

Pethuel Lodge: later known as Barn Close.

Pethuel Lodge (far right)

Picton House: Sir Thomas Philipps and Miss Philipps.

Picton House (left), Yew Tree House (right), High Street

Pike Cottage: also fondly known for many years as ‘Tup Stanley’s’. Tolls were collected until c1865.

Pond Close: Dr Alexander (Mrs Bown, surgery) and Mr Symondson.

Portway Villa, Cheltenham Road

Prior’s Manse, High Street.

Pye Corner House

Ram’s Alley: alongside 101 High Street

Roseville (see Fencote)

Russell Cottages: 12 cottages were built inn 1922, 10 burnt down in 1934.

Russell House: built in 1791 by John Russell. Originally the Swan Inn. Mr & Mrs Francis ‘Frank’ Millet from 1886.

St Patrick’s: once a vicarage until c. 1849. Later a tearoom and currently Broadway Deli.

St Patrick’s, Broadway
St Patrick’s when it was the tearoom ‘As You Like It’ in the 1930s

Sands Meadow: built in 1914 for Mrs Mary E. Pemberton (wife of Thomas Edgar Pemberton).

Smallbrook Cottage, Leamington Road

South View (Broad Close)

Springfield House, Springfield Lane: Once the home of Lord and Lady Blomfield, Edwin A. Abbey, RA and Viscount Lifford.

Steward’s Yard (see Fencote)

Stokes Yard

Sunnyside, 72 High Street

Sylvan Villa, Snowshill Road, now Mill Hay

Sands Farm/Dickens House

Tan Yard: now Almshouses

Top Farm: Owned by Thomas Wells until his death in 1910, then by his widow. The house and farm buildings were divided up after the Second World War. Subsequent owners; Page, Goitein and Barrington.

Tuck Mill, Childswickham Road: c1720

Tudor Cottage

Tudor House formerly the Angel Inn.

Vineyards, Leamington Road (last house)

Westonville, High Street (next to Sunnyside opposite the United Reformed Church)

Wychwood House: once a pub (Baillie) and the home of Edward Tennyson Reed (1860–1933), cartoonist and illustrator, primarily known for his cartoons in Punch Magazine.

West End Farm

The White Hart (see Lygon Arms)

Wyck House, West End: now Manor Farm House

Yew Tree House

Yew Tree House (right of Picton House), High Street