Guest speaker, Jon Goldswain, a recipient of the Elgar Society Certificate of Merit, will give his second illustrated talk to members on ‘Elgar’s Women’ with excerpts, both orchestral and vocal, of Elgar’s music. Sir Edward Elgar (1857-1934) was greatly influenced by the intensity of his relationships with women, and in particular four women: his mother, Ann née Greening; his wife, Caroline Alice née Roberts, whose poems Elgar set to music; Helen Weaver, a close friend and Elgar’s first fiancée who ended a nine month engagement in 1884, and his daughter, Carice who was born in 1890.
The talk starts at 7pm and will be held in the Community Room at The Court, Russell Square, Broadway. Refreshments will be served at the end of the meeting. Non-members welcome (£3 on the door).
Inaugurated in June 2015, Broadway History Society has been set up to:
- Promote the understanding of and study the history of the village of Broadway, in the county of Worcestershire.
- Arrange meetings, walking tours, talks and other events on a broad ‘history’ theme to include visits to local historical building or sites.
- To provide a forum for the reporting, debate and discussion of issues relating to Broadway’s history and to share knowledge of the community and local area.
- To be an educational and non-profit making society.
Membership is open to all (individual £10 p.a., joint £15). For more details please contact Mary Smith (Hon. Treasurer) tel. 01386 853278.
Meetings will take place in 2015/16 on the following dates:
- Monday 21st September, 7pm in Broadway Methodist Church Hall, an illustrated talk by Gordon Franks ‘The Centenary of the Lifford Hall’.
- Monday 19th October, 7pm in Broadway Methodist Church Hall, an illustrated talk by Sarah McCormick Healy ‘Arts & Crafts in the Cotswolds’.
- Monday 16th November, 7pm in The Community Room, The Court, Russell Square, Broadway, a talk by Jon Goldswain on ‘Elgar from Cradle to Grave’.
- Monday 14th December , 7pm at The Court, High Street, Broadway. Christmas drinks and a talk by Michael de Navarro on ‘Mary Anderson de Navarro’.
- Monday 18th January 2016, 7pm in Broadway Methodist Church Hall, at talk by Graham Downie on ”The Fairground Calendar’.
- Monday 15th February, TBA.
- Monday 21st March, TBA.
- Monday 18th April, 7pm, venue to be confirmed. A talk by Liz Eyre on the Lygon Arms Hotel,
- Monday 16th May. Annual General Meeting.