Broadway’s British School opened in June 1846 and was housed at what is now 47B High Street.
British Schools were first introduced in 1810 by the British and Foreign Schools Society, a non-denominational organisation which promoted the work of the Quaker teacher Joseph Lancaster. The schools made use of “monitorial” system where older children taught younger ones under the supervision of paid staff.
By the school’s second anniversary, on 22nd June 1847, the school had 110 pupils. It was reported in the Worcester Chronicle on 7 July 1847:
The children were publicly examined, and their ready replies to the questions put on geography, arithmetic, grammar, English, history etc., were credible both to the teacher and the taught, and exhibited excellence of the system of training adopted. After the examination, about 100 ladies and gentleman took tea in the school-room.
By the third anniverary of the school’s opening, June 1848, there were 112 pupils at the school; 64 boys and 48 girls. It was reported:
The third anniversary of this school was held on 27th June. The children were publicly examined in the afternoon in reading, grammar, geography, arithmetic and English history. The answers of the children gave general satisfaction, especially those in mental arithmetic, and evinced considerable progress since last year’s examination.
It is not known when the school closed. After its closure the British Schoolrooms were used for village meetings and Sunday school meetings.