The Schools of Broadway:
British School: opened in June 1846.
Elizabeth Wylie’s National School – Broadway’s first National School was started by Elizabeth Wylie a wealthy spinster. Elizabeth converted the stables in the grounds of her house on the High Street (between Picton House and South Place) into a schoolroom to educate the poor of the village. On her death in 1855, she left the sum of £400 to the Vicar and Churchwardens of St Michael’s Church for the endowment of a school for the poor. £259 13s 0d was used to build St Michael’s National School and the balance was invested in Government bonds to provide an income for the school.
Broadway Council School: Espley’s Builder of Evesham started work on the new school on Leamington Road on Monday 16 March 1914 and the school opened on 12 January 1915. Now known as Broadway First School.
Farnham House: a private school run by the Misses Buckmaster.
The Ladies Academy at Picton House (the Bell Inn).
Lady Coventry’s School: one of the earliest recorded schools in Broadway dating back to 1686. Thomas Hodges left land and property to support the school (Hodge’s Charity).
Ladies School, Cotswold House, run by Fraulein Wuschek in 1899.
Pear Tree House: a private school run by Dr Parry.
Pond Close: a private ‘free’ school run by John Careless in the 1840s and James Martin.
St Michael’s National School: Also known as Broadway’s National Schools. Classes were held in the schoolrooms on the High Street built in 1857. The school closed on 22 December 1914 and the pupils moved to the new Broadway Council School (see above).
St Mary’s Roman Catholic School: The school opened on 8 September 1851.