Charles Turner Standring was born in Lewisham, Kent in 1865, the son of John and Elizabeth Standring. Charles had 5 older brothers and an older sister and was brought up at 9 Brandon Road, Lee, south-east London.
Charles was educated at Blackheath School and went on to study medicine at King’s College London, where he was awarded the Licence of the Society of Apothecaries in 1891. After qualifying he went to work at Shrewsbury Hospital before moving to Broadway.
Charles married Caroline Matilda Clayton (born Leytonstone in 1864) at St Edmund, King and Martyr, Church, Lombard Street, London in 1891 and the following year they had a daughter, Dorothy Maud Standring who was born in Hitchin, Hertfordshire.
Dr Standring purchased the practice of the late Dr Hugh Miller in Broadway. He was a keen sportsman and was involved in many of the sports clubs in Broadway, founding Broadway Golf Club on 18th April 1895. Along with his wife, Caroline, he started and organised the Broadway Nursing Association. He was also a member of the Working Men’s Institute from its inception (at the time of his death he was President of the Institute).
His wife, Caroline, died in Broadway in 1922 and Charles died, aged 59, in Broadway, on 8th November 1924.
An obituary for Dr Standring was published in the British Medical Journal on 22nd November 1924:
Dr. Charles Turner Standring of Broadway, Worcestershire, died on 8th November, aged 59. He was born in Kent, the sixth son of the late Mr. John Standring, and was educated at Blackheath School and King’s College, London. He took the diploma L.S.A. in 1891. After serving as a house-surgeon to the Shrewsbury Hospital and as assistant in various parts of the country he settled in Broadway, where he continued to practise until his death.
The Evesham Journal reported:
Well-known and popular throughout the North Cotswold district, Dr. Charles Turner Standring of The Laurels, Broadway, died on Sunday in the 60th year. A native of Blackbeach (sic), he was trained at King’s College, London, and after a short time as a junior house surgeon at Salop Infirmary, and in private practice at Stevenage in Hertfordshire, came to Broadway about 1895. He soon closely identified himself with the public life of the place. He was a fine all round sportsman. He was a Rugby player for King’s College Hospital in this younger days, and he started the Broadway Golf Club twelve months after he came to Worcestershire, and was secretary for 20 years. He was also a member of the lawn tennis club for a number of years, and at times played cricket for Broadway. He was for a short period a member of the Parish Council.