Anthony Daston was born in Wormington in 1506, and was appointed High Sheriff of Gloucestershire. He married Anne Savage (née Sheldon) in 1558. Anthony Daston had obtained the lease of a large part of Broadway manor from the Abbot of Pershore in 1535 and they resided at Broadway Court (a house built opposite St Eadburgha’s Church). Their combined properties made them the largest landowners in Broadway at the time.
Anthony Daston died on 19 July 1572 and was buried in St Eadburgha’s Church at Broadway. His commemorative brass on the wall inside the church reads:
Here lies buried the body of Anthony Daston: he loved the world but now scorns its joys.
If ever there was a wise and faithful friend, that friend was Daston, who lies shut within the tomb you see.
A worthy squire, sprung of an ancient line, he withstood the fray yet was a zealous lover of peace.
Of his riches he gave aid, while he lived, to men in need; of goodwill to all, he was gentle and kindly.
Six and sixty years – no long span – he lived; his spirit in Christ now tastes the joys of Heaven.
He died July 19th A.D. 1572
in 1574, two years after Anthony’s death, Anne bought the house and the 2,960 acre farm. She died in 1619, aged about 90, having outlived all her sons apart from Walter Savage (1558-1622), who took over the Broadway property.
Broadway Court, was demolished in 1773. The Daston crest, a reindeer’s head pierced through the neck by an arrow, is still visible over the door of what was the gatehouse to the Court.