Dr William Gordon Alexander (1867-1949) and Katrina Louisa Hoyer Alexander (1873-1953)

Dr William Alexander was one of Broadway’s medical practitioners from 1908 until his retirement in 1941. Born in Selkirk, Scotland, on 7 August 1867, William was the youngest son of solicitor David Carnegie Alexander and Mary Anderson of Selkirk. After leaving school, William studied medicine at Edinburgh University.  On his mother’s side of the family, his uncle, grandfather and great-grandfather had been doctors.

In 1898, St Mary’s Cathedral, Edinburgh, William married Katrina Louisa Hoyer, daughter of Christian Hoyer Millar of Blair Castle, Perthshire. Shortly after their marriage, they moved to Stalbridge, Dorset, where their three children were born; Augustus Gordon Steward1 on 22 October 1899, Arthur Hoyer Alexander2 born 14 October 1901, and a daughter Katrina Margaret Blair ‘Peggy’3 born on 9 August 1905.

The Move to Broadway

The family moved to Broadway in 1908 when Dr Alexander was appointed assistant to Dr Beadle, and the family moved to Station Road. By the mid 1920s they had moved to Pond Close on the High Street.

William and his wife, Katrina, were actively involved in the village. He was a Member of Broadway Golf Club, Broadway Cricket Club, the North Cotswold Hunt, and Chairman of Broadway Nursing Association.

Judging a North Cotswold Hunt Puppy Show: Left to right: Major Robert H. Milvain, Mr C.T. Scott, Dr William G. Alexander and Major Hon. Edric A.C. Weld-Forester

His wife, Katrina, had played golf for Scotland and tennis for Perthshire. She was also a keen horse rider and enjoyed fishing. She was one of the founding members of Broadway’s Woman’s Institute and an active member of Broadway’s Nursing Association.

William was the village doctor until his retirement in November 1941. On his retirement he was presented with a silver salver and a cheque on behalf of the village by D.G.S. Russell (owner of the Lygon Arms) and Alexander F. Lomas (Manager of the Broadway branch of the Midland Bank).

William died, aged 81, on 3 April 1949 at Pond Close and his funeral was held at St Eadburgha’s.

Katrina died on 15 November 1953. Her funeral, conducted by Rev. H. Hodson of Buckland, was also held at St Eadburgha’s Church and she was buried alongside her husband in the churchyard.

Debbie Williamson

 

Notes:

  1. Colonel Augustus Gordon Steward was educated at Marlborough College and served with the Central India Horse in India. He lived at Gordon Castle, Fochabors, Morayshire and died, aged 94, in Banbury in 1994.
  2. Captain Arthur Hoyer Alexander RN, OBE, who was appointed Commander of HMS St Angelo on 30 June 1939, died, aged 48, on 28 August 1950 at the Royal Naval Hospital, Malta. He is buried in Kalkara Naval Cemetery, Malta. Educated at Osborne and Dartmouth, Arthur joined the Royal Navy, aged 14, on 15 May 1915 and served on HMS Neptune from September 1917 during the First World War. He was awarded the OBE on 8 June 1943 and Mentioned in Despatches on 13 March 1945 following the Normandy Invasion in June 1944. He married Valentine Sybil Adeline de Satgé Garnett in Istanbul, Turkey, on 5 December 1947.
  3. Peggy Alexander was educated at Cheltenham College and lived at Pond Close until shortly before her death, aged 80, in 1986.