Major the Hon. Anthony Wills Buys Middle Hill House, April 1952

In April 1952, Major the Hon. Frederick Anthony Hamilton Wills, heir to Lord Dulverton of Batsford Park, purchased Middle Hill House and 1,100 acres of land on Broadway Hill.

Middle Hill had previously been owned by the sisters Lucy Miller Hingley and Emily Georgina Hingley who moved to Broadway shortly after the end of the First World War. Lucy Hingley died in 1942 and Emily Hingley in February 1946. By the terms of Miss Emily Hingley’s will (which amounted to £311,922 gross), Middle Hill was to be offered to the Friends of the Poor and if they were not willing to accept the bequest then to the Homes of Rest for Gentlewomen of the Church of England with a request that the house be known as The Hingley House of Rest. However, the Friends of the Poor declined to accept the property because of the huge cost of repairs needed to be spent on the house and ancillary buildings, and following a hearing at the Chancery Division in December 1951, it was decided that the gift had failed and declared that Miss Hingley had died intestate. Broadway Tower and the surrounding fields, also part of Miss Hingley’s estate, were bequeathed to the National Trust.

Following his purchase of the house and land, Wills was granted a £500 licence by Evesham Rural District Council to carry out the extensive repairs to make the house habitable. Wills was married with four children and lived at the house for many years returning the surrounding land to productive farmland.

Born on 19 December 1915, Wills was educated at Eton College and Magdalen College, Oxford. During the Second World War, Wills served with the Lovatt Scouts. He was an enthusiast about fieldcraft and was one of the Army’s leading experts on sniping. He founded and was chief instructor at a sniping wing at the War Office Advanced Handling and Fieldcraft School in North Wales. He gained the rank of Major in 1944 in the Royal Artillery. He succeeded as the 2nd Baron Dulverton, of Batsford, and 3rd Baronet Willow of Northmoor, Somerset, on 1 December 1956. Wills served as a Master of the North Cotswold Hunt for 8 years, resigning in 1960. He was appointed Commander, Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 1974. He died on 7 February 1992 at the age of 76.

 

 

The Early History of Broadway Tower by Jill Tovey

In 1751 George William Coventry inherited the title 6th Earl of Coventry, Croome Court and 15,000 acres of land in Worcestershire and Gloucestershire.  He was 29 years old and the speed with which he set about improving and modernising his inheritance implies that he had already made plans about what he would do.

His first act was to employ up and coming landscape management expert Lancelot Brown to work with him on the project. Brown was an instinctive engineer who knew how water and land could be moulded and controlled – he knew the ‘Capabilities’. The two men had met through a mutual association with Lord Cobham at Stowe and the young George William had recognised Brown’s potential. So it was that in 1752 the two began working in partnership; they first of all turned the existing 17th century house into a modern, symmetrical Palladian style mansion and then went on to create a vast, idyllic English landscape around it.

Whilst the basic ideas, and the boldness of style and design, were almost certainly the Earl’s, it was probably Brown’s skills in land and water management that gave him the confidence to have the 760 acres of land surrounding the house sculpted on a monumental scale, never before attempted.

The basic project took over ten years, but Brown continued to be involved – making adjustments to drainage right up until his death in 1783. So grateful to him was the Earl that he erected a monument in his memory beside the beautifullake he had created out of a ‘Morass’.

The creation of the Landscape Park had become a lifetime obsession for the 6th Earl of Coventry. He had also employed Robert Adam to design iconic buildings to form focal points and draw the eye to views that observers were intended to see. In this Adam, Brown and the Earl had worked closely together. However, by 1794 Brown and Adam were both dead, but the George William wasn’t finished.

Whilst he now had buildings to decorate the inner park, he was thinking on a wider scale and brought in the latest ‘must have’ architect, James Wyatt to finish the job. There was already an ‘eye-catcher’ to the south in the shape of gothic style Dunstall Castle, which Adam had designed in 1765, but now he wanted eye-catchers to the north, east and west of the house, to be placed on the most visible pieces of high ground that he owned. So, between 1794 and 1801 Wyatt designed the Panorama Tower to the west:

Panorama Tower, James Wyatt 1801 © Croome Heritage Trust
Panorama Tower, James Wyatt 1801 © Croome Heritage Trust, image not for further publication without permission.

Pirton Castle to the north:

Picton Castle © Croome Heritage Trust
Pirton Castle, James Wyatt 1801 © Croome Heritage Trust, image not for further publication without permission

 

and, to the east, Broadway Tower.

Broadway Tower © Croome Heritage Trust
Broadway Tower, James Wyatt 1794 © Croome Heritage Trust, image not for further publication without permission

Some miles to the east of Croome he owned Springhill House and some land on the high ridge near the village of Broadway and Wyatt’s design, in the Romanesque style fashionable at the time, completed the Earl’s vision of the ideal, allegorical landscape. The Tower could also perhaps have been intended as a monument to himself – standing proud on the hilltop, only distantly visible from Croome, but with views over sixteen counties. If this was the case, it worked because 220 years later, people still ask “Who built this? The answer is George William. 6th Earl of Coventry – thus his name lives on. So far from being a ‘Folly’ –  it was a statement and had a purpose.

 

Jill Tovey
Croome Heritage Trust, 2020

 

The 1826 History of Middle Hill and Broadway by Sir Thomas Phillipps

Buried amongst 2,000 boxes of Phillipps’ papers in the Bodleian Old Library in Oxford are some unpublished local history notes. Local historian, David Ella, has transcribed The 1826 History of Middle Hill and Broadway written by Sir Thomas Phillipps (see link below).

Phillipps (1792-1872) was the greatest collector of books and manuscripts of the 19th century, and a prolific letter writer, keeping copies of his drafts and all manner of correspondence.

To read the article click on the link below:

Broadway & Middle Hill History by Sir Thomas Phillipps 1826

 

February’s Talk: Monday 21st February 2022 – 500 Years of Broadway Maps

Next Meeting: Monday 21st February 2022 – 500 Years of Broadway Maps

Our next meeting will take place on Monday 21st February starting at 7pm in the Lifford Memorial Hall. The Society looks forward to welcoming back David Ella as our speaker with his illustrated talk entitled 500 Years of Broadway Maps.

During David’s talk we will be looking at a wide range of maps which include Broadway, created from the 1570s through to 2020. While interesting and attractive in themselves the maps will be used to try and resolve some unanswered historical questions about Broadway and Broadway Hill.  We will look at old county maps, and also unpublished estate maps for Middle Hill, Spring Hill, and the Countess of Gainsborough’s estates in Chipping Campden, which ran to the top of Broadway Hill. Amongst other things, we will look at the engineer’s diagram for the 1820’s roadworks on Broadway Hill, alongside an angry letter from Sir Thomas Phillipps who provided the land.  We will find out why Broadway is in Worcestershire, why Five Mile Drive is only two miles long, and finally try and resolve how Colonel Lygon displayed the Battle of Waterloo at his Spring Hill estate,  just beyond Broadway Tower.  Closer to the village we will look at the “Haunted House”, and understand why one of the houses in the High Street lies at 45 degrees to the road – with the help of the Broadway Enclosure Map.

There will be a table display of original 17th and 18th century maps which can be viewed either before or after David’s talk.

Hand sanitiser and masks will be available. The Comittee will set out the chairs prior to the start of the meeting but please feel free to move them if you would prefer to sit in a different location in the hall. In line with current guidance we will leave the doors to the hall open until just before the start of the talk to allow as much fresh air into the hall prior to the start of the meeting. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact a member of the committee.

Debbie Williamson
Broadway History Society

Luggers Hall (formerly Luggershill)

Luggers Hall, Springfield Lane, was built in 1911 for the Broadway Colony artist and landscape designer Alfred Parsons (1847-1920). Parsons chose Scottish architect Andrew Noble Prentice FRIBA, to design the house for him. Prentice was well know for his work in and around Broadway having designed several prominent buildings and extensions. These amongst others include; a music room at Court Farm House (c1899), Orchard Farmhouse (c1905), Willersey House (1907), Barn House (1908), Buckland Manor (1910), Abbot’s Grange (1911) and later the Lifford Memorial Hall in 1915.

A close friendship between Parsons and the American artist Francis Davis ‘Frank’ Millet began when Parsons, Millet and the painter, Edwin Austin Abbey RA, lived together at 54 Bedford Gardens, London. The Broadway connection was cemented by regular visits from Mary Anderson de Navarro of Court Farm, a famous actress at the time. In the mid 1880s, Millet and Parsons moved to Broadway and Millet rented Farnham House, overlooking the green in the heart of the village. In 1896 Parsons designed the gardens at Court Farm and he also designed the gardens for Mr & Mrs Rees Price at Bannits, Church Street.

Around 1904 Alfred Parsons purchased the land on which Luggershill was built from his close friend Millet, who by then had moved to Russell House. Andrew Prentice having been appointed to design the house departed from his usual architectural detailing which has been compared to the Arts and Craft style of Lutyens, with tall chimneys, mullioned windows, traditional construction and handcrafted details. Luggershill is often quoted as being an Arts and Craft building but it is not. There is very little influence from this movement which was by the early 1900s coming to an end. The style of Luggershill is confusing, it is more Neo-Classical with Georgian all bar windows letting in plenty of light (as would be expected for a working artist).

The influence of Prentice on the house, however, is evident with its preponderance of tall chimneys and use of his typical staircase design which appears in several of his earlier buildings. Consistent with the area the Prentice chose local Cotswold stone from Guiting Power and a local natural stone on the roof. The design layout is simple using a ‘Z’ shape plan incorporating a large painters studio lit by a substantial north light window, together with sitting room, dining room, kitchen with scullery, and service rooms on the northern side. Although the design does not have the romanic details of many of the houses in the area it does enjoy a delightfully light interior with a near perfect floor plan for raising a family even today.

Parsons was successful both as an artist and landscape designer. He included in Luggers Hill a servants’ flat on the second floor with its own entrance and staircase. The original servants’ call system is still in place with bell pushes in all the principal rooms. Externally, Parsons created at Luggershill several small gardens incorporating a number of his well know design features. The original nut walk created from hazelnut trees and the curved stone colonnade across from the house on the same central axis are still in tact. The walled vegetable garden has gone and now contains a central fountain and rose garden. The parterre garden has also been re-configured in more recent times and the influence of Parsons’ favourite colours in the garden exist to this day with a preponderance of pinks, blues and yellows.

Restrictive covenants imposed by Parsons in the house deeds remove the rights to extend the house and Luggershill remains little altered since it was first built in 1911.

Broadway Fete, Monday 2 August 1938

From the Cheltenham Chronicle:

Mr. Rupert De la Bere, M.P. performed the opening ceremony at the annual fete in aid of funds of Broadway Congregational church which took place at Luggers Hill on Monday, by permission of Mr. Clement V. Parsons. A large number of people were present, Mr. D.G.S. Russell presided at the opening ceremony, and introduced Mr. De la Bere, who in declaring the fete open, thanked Mrs. Kemp for her work. The Rev. Arthur Wakelin (Broadway Congregational minister), thanked Mr. De la Bere and Mr. Don Russell for their presence and keen interest, also Mr. Clement Parsons for lending his beautiful gardens, and all who helped. A feature of the programme was a baby show, and the judge was Dr. Dorothy Neate, of Fladbury, assisted by Nurse Green of Guiting. The prize winners were, under 12 months, 1 Olive Whitton, 2 James Brookes; over 12 months 1 Brian Clarke, 2 Jean Warren. Another attractive item, “The Pageant of the Flowers” was presented by Mrs. Jones’s pupils. A fine programme of music was played, under the direction of Mr. L.J. Hensley. There were a number of stalls and sideshows. The programme wound up with a well attended dance in the Lifford Hall, when music was played by Frank Styles and his band, from Wickhamford.

 

Happy New Year and January’s Talk on Luggers Hall

Happy New Year! The Committee and I would like to wish you a happy new year and we look forward to seeing you at our meetings in 2022.

Next Meeting: Monday 17th January 2022 – The History of Luggers Hall

Our next meeting will take place on Monday 17th January starting at 7pm in the Lifford Memorial Hall. There has been a change to the programme – Committee Member, Roger Dudley, will be giving us an illustrated talk on The History of Luggers Hall a fine Grade II listed house on Springfield Lane designed by Andrew N. Prentice for the garden designer and artist, Alfred Parsons RA.

Hand sanitiser and masks will be available – it is still a requirement to wear a mask inside the hall unless exempt. The Comittee will set out the chairs prior to the start of the meeting but please feel free to move them if you would prefer to sit in a different location in the hall. In line with current guidance we will leave the doors to the hall open until just before Roger’s talk to allow as much fresh air into the hall prior to the start of the meeting. If you have any concerns please don’t hesitate to contact a member of the committee.

Debbie Williamson
Broadway History Society

Thomas Edgar Pemberton (1849-1895)

Thomas Edgar Pemberton, theatre historian, playwright, critic and biographer, was born at Heath Green Cottage, Heath Green, Birmingham on 1 July 1849. Pemberton was the eldest son of Thomas Pemberton, the head of an established firm of brass founders in Livery Street, Birmingham,  After education at school in Edgbaston, aged 19, Pemberton joined his father’s company, Messrs. Pemberton and Sons, and in due course gained control of the business, with which he was connected until 1900.

Pemberton married on 11 March 1873, in the Old Meeting House, Birmingham, Mary Elizabeth Townley, second daughter of Edward Richard Patie Townley of Edgbaston.

In 1885, Pemberton and his family moved to Broadway and they lived at Farnham House for four years before moving to Pye Corner House where he died in 1895.

Pemberton was a member of the Birmingham Dramatic and Literary Club and President and Honorary Secretary of Our Shakespeare Club. HIs funeral took place at St Eadburgha’s Church,  Broadway, in October 1905 and he is buried in the churchyard. The service was conducted by the Rev. F.A. Morgan (Vicar of Broadway), B.L. Hall (Curate of Broadway), G.A. Jackson (St Mary’s, High Leigh) and F. Madona (Vicar of Cheadle and Pemberton’s uncle).

His wife continued to live at Pye Corner before moving to Sands Meadow which was built for her in 1914. Mary Pemberton continued to live at Sands Meadow until her death in 1938.

 

Tudor House (formerly The Angel Inn)

Tudor House was purpose built in the 17th century as a coaching inn, The Angel, to serve the Ludlow to London route. In 1691 the innkeeper was William Willis. The Inn later become a private residence and its name was changed to Tudor House.

Tudor House, Broadway
Tudor House, High Street, Broadway

 

Residents of Tudor House have included:

  • William Willis (innkeeper).
  • In the late 1800s: Plaxton Samuel Carless until his death in 1892 when the house was sold by auction on 27 September 1892.
  • As tenants from 1899 to 1907: Captain John William ‘James’ Rodgers ( Rogers) (1844-1907) and Mrs Rodgers. Also of Fromore, The Lickey, Bromsgrove and formerly of Liverpool. Capt Rodgers was a master mariner and later a part proprietor of The Prince of Wales Theatre, Birmingham.
  • 1907 to 1910: Mr & Mrs Benjamin Chandler
  • Sir Richard Amphlett Lamb & Mrs Katrina Lamb
  • Mr G.B. Hudson
  • Mrs Arthur
  • Mr Frederick George Wells
  • Mr Henry W. Keil – for 80 years it was the headquarters of H.W. Keil Ltd.

Tudor House has been extended and adapted over the years but still retains many of its original features and architectural flourishes reflecting trends of the passing eras. Since 2013 it has been home to Broadway Museum and Art Gallery.

Tudor House, Broadway
Tudor House, High Street, Broadway (formerly the Angel Inn)

Dr Axel M.F. Munthe (1857-1949)

Axel Martin Fredrik Munthe (1857-1949), the Swedish physician, psychiatrist, and author of The Story of San Michele, first came to Broadway in 1907 and lived for a short time afterwards at The Malt House, High Street, Broadway.

Dr Axel Munthe Broadway
Dr Axel Munthe ©Howard Carter FRSA

Born in Sweden on 31 October 1857, Munthe studied medicine in Paris. He became a distinguished physician and was appointed chief physician to Queen Victoria of Sweden in 1892.

Munthe firstly married Ultima Hornberg, a Swede, on 24 November 1880, whom he met while she was studying art in Paris. They divorced in the late 1880s and in 1887, Munthe moved to Capri where he purchased and rebuilt the Villa San Michele in Anacapri. 

On 16 May 1907, Munthe married English aristocrat, Hilda Pennington Mellor (1876–1967) at the Parish Church, Paddington, London. He was 49 and she was 29 years of age. The couple honeymooned at Sunnyside, 72 High Street, Broadway, a guest house run by Mrs Charlotte Kendrick. Sid Knight, who worked as a house boy at Sunnyside, recounts in his book Cotswold Lad  the arrival of Dr and Mrs Munthe’s arrival at the guest house:

Presently the rumbling of wheels disturbed the quiet of the High Street as into view lumbered the station fly owned by the Lygon Arms Hotel, the top piled high with luggage bearing railway and hotel labels from all over Europe. The horse-drawn four-wheeler came to a sedate halt alongside the grass verge that separated roadway from sidewalk, and two imposing figures alighted. One was a woman who to my boyish mind was of unbelievable beauty and charm …… followed by a tall, well-built man, a menacing figure in black…. Over his dark suit he wore a dark, flowing cape ……… A black Homburg shaded his black spade beard, and down his face ran a deep scar ………. rumour said was caused by a falling chimney pot in Stockholm one dark, windy night….Big dark glasses obscured his eyes……..

After a period at Sunnyside, the couple went on to settle in the village at The Malt House, High Street. The Munthe household is recorded in the 1911 Census1:

  1. Hilda Munthe, wife, 31 years old, living on own means, born France, British.
  2. Viking John Axel (Peter) Munthe, son, 2 years old, born London, Swede.
  3. Ludwig Malcolm Grane Munthe, son, 1 year old, born London, Swede.
  4. Sarah Smith, servant – cook, 60 years old, married, born Battersea, London.
  5. May Watts, servant – nurse, 16 years old, single, born Broadway, Worcestershire.
  6. Irene Launer, servant – housemaid, 14 years old, single, born France, French.
  7. Loetitia de Céligny, guest – visitor, 9 years old, born France, French.
  8. Catherine de Céligny, guest – visitor, 31 years old, born France, French.

Sid Knight, who worked at Sunnyside as a houseboy, also worked at The Malt House as a houseboy and his cousin Ada was cook for the Munthe household for many years, travelling and living with them in Rome, Berlin and Stockholm before settling with them at San Michele were it is said King Edward2 used to visit them.

The Malt House, Broadway ©David Lovell
The Malt House, High Street, Broadway ©David Lovell

During 1910, Munthe had a 14-room summer home, Stengården, built in Leksand, Sweden as a gift to his wife. Hilda landscaped Stengården with an English garden, and furnished it with 17th, 18th and 19th-century art and furniture from Italy, England and France.

For s short period during the First World War, Munthe volunteered and served with the British Ambulance Corps in France3. After the war, Munthe was more often at San Michele until his eyesight deteriorated. Sid Knight recounts in his book his last memory of seeing Mrs Munthe in Broadway, towards the end of the First World War, by which time Munthe and his wife, Hilda, were separated.

Munthe’s autobiographical book, The Story of San Michele, was first published in 1929. It was later translated into 25 different languages. Following an operation in Zurich in 1934, his sight was partially restored.

It was reported in the Lancashire Evening Post on 13 August 1937:

Dr. Axel Munthe, having completed his annual visit to England, left to-day for Stockholm, where he will stay with one of his oldest friends – the King of Sweden.

Bearded, dark spectacled, elusive, Dr. Munthe is still a Swede by nationality. Before the war he was on the point of adopting British nationality. But the war delayed the process of nationalisation, and he abandoned his intention.

Formerly, Dr Munthe had a house at Broadway, in Worcestershire. Now, though he belongs to the St. James Club, he has no English residence. But he remains an Englishman in spirit, and frets at being obliged to pass through the aliens’ barrier whenever he lands in this country.

Axel MuntheMunthe was made a Commander of the Royal Victorian Order in 1905. He died on 11 February 1949, aged 91, in the Royal Palace in Stockholm and his ashes were scattered in the North Sea.

 

Notes:

  1. The 1911 Census for England and Wales was taken on the night of Sunday 2 April, 1911.
  2. From Cotswold Lad by Sid Knight, published 1960.
  3. See Red Cross & Iron Cross by Axel Munthe, published 1916.

Buildings and Businesses of Broadway

Abbot’s Grange, Church Street

The Grange was built c1320 by William de Harvington, Abbot of Pershore. The Grange was restored by the American artist Francis ‘Frank’ Millet who lived at Farnham House and used the building as his studio. 

Abbot’s Grange, Church Street

Abbot’s Grange Cottages, Church Street: formerly two cottages, now one cottage.

Acton House: the former Co-op.

Alderton Lodge: now part of the Lygon Arms (the brasserie).

Aldington Lodge: located next to Broadway Close

Argyle Parade, Leamington Road: now Ashmore’s and Cotswold Building Supplies

Austin House, Church Streetthe house was built in the early 1700s. It was once the home of Lord and Lady Lifford.

Bankside: Built in 1860, the home of the Hensley family and of Mr Jolly’s waggon and haulage business.

Bannits: Church Street: was the Baker’s Arms until 1912. Owned by Mr & Mrs Rees Price (with gardens designed by Alfred Parsons), Mr & Mrs Peter Lidner and the Juckes family.

Barn House: Originally built for Mr Jones, a baker in 1657. The house and barn were later converted by Mr G.B. Game (Mrs Folkes worked for the Game family). Other residents: Major Tristram (Fred Pendrey was his chauffeur) and Mrs Maudsley whose son, Squadron Leader Henry E. Maudslay, DFC (1921-1943) was killed during a Dambuster raid in 1943.

Bell Yard: c1700 once a coaching inn.

Belleview: Meadow Cottage, the end of Morris Road.

The Bindery: From 1907, bookbinder Miss Katharine Adams. Also Nason and Milne and used to hold Sunday School meetings.

Broad Close: Once the home of Isaac Averill, Bill Scott and the Keil family.

Broadway Mill: in 1528, the mill was rented by William Hannow.

Broadway Pottery (Lower Fold, Keytes Lane)

Brown’s Bakery, 14 The Green: Bakery, tobacconist and confectioner’s.

Buckland Villa

Cambria House: Colonel Henry Sidney, DSO, Dr & Mrs Houghton and Major & Mrs Fanshawe (Master of the North Cotswold Hunt).

China Square: The two cottages to the left of the entrance to Springfield Lane. Before the Second World War the cottages were occupied by Nurse Bricknell and the Sollis family. It is believed that the cottages became known as China Square as a former resident was an amateur potter and a kiln is present among the brickwork.

Clump Farm

Coach & Horses: A farm until 1837 when it was converted in to a pub.

Colletts Tea Rooms and Gardens

Copgrove, West End: a farmhouse was built in the 16th century and later converted into two cottages. The cottages were dismantled and a single dwelling, turned through 90 degrees was rebuilt (from 1906 to 1910) by architects, Charles Bateman and George Henry Hunt, for Mr G. Sewell. Mr & Mrs Pierce Duncombe later lived at Copgrove.

The Court, Snowshill Road: consists of a 16th century gatehouse for a mansion or court that once existed to the east.

Court Farm: Originally two farms. Purchased by Mr & Mrs de Navarro in 1893.

Cowley House: owned by Mr & Mrs R.B. Harbidge, Bill Clifton and the Kemp family.

Dickens House/Sands Farm: home of the Dickins family until the mid 1770s.

Farnham House  (Farnham Villa)

Fencote (see Roseville): Miss Massie lived at the house and ran it as a guesthouse. The house burnt down in January 1935 (Miss Massie escaped unhurt, saved by Mr H. Ellis). Also used as Steward’s Yard.

The Fish Garage: owned by the Jones family in the 1960s when it sold Esso petrol and secondhand cars and vans.

Fish Inn

The Fish Inn, Broadway Hill
The Fish Inn, Broadway Hill (now Fish Hill)

Fleabank or Shakespeare’s Cottages: many of the families who lived in the cottages were involved in glovemaking.

Fleabank, Shakespeare’s Cottages, Broadway
Fleabank, High Street

Forge House: one of the oldest cottages in the village.

Fox Yard

Grey Gables: Originally known as ‘Gables’, the house dates back to the 17th century. Once the home of Sir Keyte, Mrs Ellison. Hon. R. Ward.

Happylands: Mr Taylor. Capt. Alan Samuel Butler (1898-1987).

Heeks Yard, High Street: behind Monk’s House

The Hollyhocks (also Ivy House and Broadway Hotel).

The Hollyhocks also known as Ivy House now the Broadway Hotel

Hunters Lodge: also known previously as Ballybroust and Trinafour. Once owned by W.B. Game (of Barn House), Sir Andrew Skeen, and Kurt and Dottie Friendli who ran it as a restaurant and guesthouse.

Ivy House (also The Hollyhocks and the Broadway Hotel).

Kylsant House, Church Street: built by Tom Phillipps, the father of Sir Thomas Phillipps and named after a relative of the family. Once the home of; the author, Joan Fleming, Charles McNeill, Master of the North Cotswold Fox Hounds, and Audrey Withers, editor of Vogue.

Lifford Memorial Hall: built in 1915 in memory of Lord Lifford.

Low Farm: bought by Russell’s in 1920 as a showroom.

Lower Fold, Keyte’s Lane (see Broadway Pottery)

Lower Mill, Cheltenham Road

Luggers Hill, Springfield Lane, now Luggers Hall.

Lygon Arms formerly known as The White Hart: The first written record of the Lygon Arms dates back to 1377 when it was referred to as the White Hart. The hart, the personal symbol of King Richard II (1367-1400).

After Richard’s usurpation by his cousin Henry IV, the inn changed its name in 1400 to the White Swan (the swan a symbol of the House of Lancaster). Under Henry’s Lancastrian son, Henry V, the inn took on the name the Hart and Swan. However, Records from 1530 and Parish Records of 1532 record Thomas White, a local wool merchant, as the landlord of The White Hart.

In the reign of James I the inn was known as The George but by 1620 records show it was being referred to as The Swan again and by 1641 it had reverted back to The White Hart.

From 1604 to 1641 the landlord was John Trevis. He added the front door with its stone arch in 1620 upon which his initials, along with those of his wife, Ursula, are carved.

In the 18th century, the Inn became an important staging post for coaches travelling through Broadway along the main road from London to Worcester and Wales. To cope with the volume of business, the White Hart Inn was expanded and stabling for over 30 horses was built. The landlord at this time was Giles Atwood, who was commended for his fine management by Lord Torrington, a recognised diarist, and after whom the Lygon’s Torrington Room is named.

After 1815, Captain, later Major, Edward Lygon, an officer at Waterloo and son of the first Earl Beauchamp of Madresfield, who had purchased the nearby Springhill Estate, owned the inn and it was managed by his steward Charles Drury. Its name was subsequently changed to the Lygon Arms (recorded as such in the 1841 Census of Broadway). Charles Drury purchased the inn in 1867 and it remained in the Drury family until 1903 when it was purchased by Sidney Bolton Russell at the cost of £6,000.

In 1910 a major development was initiated by Sydney Russell. He employed Sir Aston Webb to construct a Great Hall over the hotel’s garden and the old 18th century assembly room. Webb, who had designed the Queen Victoria Memorial in front of Buckingham Palace, incorporated a salvaged 17th century barrel-vaulted ceiling into what is now the hotel’s dining room.

After World War I the premises of the Capital and County, Broadway’s first bank, were incorporated into the hotel. The ground floor of this extension served first as a Buttery and since 2013 it has been used as a Brasserie.

During the 1930s, Russell passed the management of the Lygon to his son Donald. Soon after he took over, the Second World War broke out. Among these visiting servicemen at the time was an Australian, Douglas Barrington. In 1945, after the war had ended, Barrington returned to The Lygon Arms and was appointed to the Board of Directors in 1946 and later Managing Director in 1956.

In 1986, the Savoy Group acquired the Lygon Arms at a cost of £4.7million. Kirk Ritchie was appointed Managing Director and General Manager, having been at the hotel since 1975.

The Malt House: Originally two cottages until 1893 when it was altered by Mrs Griffin. Axel Munthe then Colonel Henry Sidney, DSO (1879-1954) also lived at the house.

Middle Hill: Built by William Taylor, Recorder of Evesham in 1724.

Midland Bank Cottages: Mr & Mrs Fridlington, Steward.

Milestone House

Milestone House, Broadway
Milestone House (far left), High Street

Mill Hay, Snowshill Road: built c1651 as Upper Mill. It was bought by Mrs Chesterman (the daughter of Lord Carson) in the 1930s.

The Old Curiosity Shop

The Old Curiosity Shop, Broadway
The Old Curiosity Shop, High Street

The Old Schoolrooms, High Street

Orchard Farm House: Once home to Lady Maud Bowes-Lyon, Sir Gerald Nabarro MP and the Misses Barrie.

Orchard Farm, High Street

Pear Tree House: Once school under Dr Parry. Miss Webb-Johnson, Morgan and Bland- Sutton.

Pethuel Lodge: later known as Barn Close.

Pethuel Lodge (far right)

Picton House: Sir Thomas Philipps and Miss Philipps.

Picton House (left), Yew Tree House (right), High Street

Pike Cottage: also fondly known for many years as ‘Tup Stanley’s’. Tolls were collected until c1865.

Pond Close: Dr Alexander (Mrs Bown, surgery) and Mr Symondson.

Portway Villa, Cheltenham Road

Prior’s Manse, High Street.

Pye Corner House

Ram’s Alley: alongside 101 High Street

Roseville (see Fencote)

Russell Cottages: 12 cottages were built inn 1922, 10 burnt down in 1934.

Russell House: built in 1791 by John Russell. Originally the Swan Inn. Mr & Mrs Francis ‘Frank’ Millet from 1886.

St Patrick’s: once a vicarage until c. 1849. Later a tearoom and currently Broadway Deli.

St Patrick’s, Broadway
St Patrick’s when it was the tearoom ‘As You Like It’ in the 1930s

Sands Meadow: built in 1914 for Mrs Mary E. Pemberton (wife of Thomas Edgar Pemberton).

Smallbrook Cottage, Leamington Road

South View (Broad Close)

Springfield House, Springfield Lane: Once the home of Lord and Lady Blomfield, Edwin A. Abbey, RA and Viscount Lifford.

Steward’s Yard (see Fencote)

Stokes Yard

Sunnyside, 72 High Street

Sylvan Villa, Snowshill Road, now Mill Hay

Sands Farm/Dickens House

Tan Yard: now Almshouses

Top Farm: Owned by Thomas Wells until his death in 1910, then by his widow. The house and farm buildings were divided up after the Second World War. Subsequent owners; Page, Goitein and Barrington.

Tuck Mill, Childswickham Road: c1720

Tudor Cottage

Tudor House formerly the Angel Inn.

Vineyards, Leamington Road (last house)

Westonville, High Street (next to Sunnyside opposite the United Reformed Church)

Wychwood House: once a pub (Baillie) and the home of Edward Tennyson Reed (1860–1933), cartoonist and illustrator, primarily known for his cartoons in Punch Magazine.

West End Farm

The White Hart (see Lygon Arms)

Wyck House, West End: now Manor Farm House

Yew Tree House

Yew Tree House (right of Picton House), High Street