100 Years Ago: 7th August 1921, the Day the Australian Cricket Team came to Broadway

Broadway, Sunday 7th August 1921

At the invitation of cricket fans Antonio de Navarro and Mary Anderson de Navarro, the Australian cricket team visited Broadway on 7th August 1921 during their Ashes Tour of England. Around noon, a convoy of seven cars carrying the team were greeted by a crowd of villagers lining the High Street as it made its way to Court Farm.

The Australians, in the middle of a first-class match against Warwickshire at Edgbaston (which they went on to win by an innings and 61 runs), were spending their rest day touring the local area, hosted by Sir Herbert Austin, Chairman and founder of the Austin Motor Company Ltd.  Aged 18, Austin, had emigrated to Australia where he had trained as an engineer, married an Australian girl, and spent the first 15 years of married life in Australia, mostly in Melbourne, before returning to England in 1893.

Australian Cricket Team, 1921

The Australians, captained by ‘Big Ship’ Warwick Armstrong, spent an hour at Court Farm where they met; Capt Theodore Rodocanachi MC (Captain of Broadway Cricket Club), John Morris (Broadway Parish Councillor), Maud Caffin (daughter of Rev. Charles Caffin, the Vicar of St Michael’s), Father George, Father Wilfrid and Father Edward Green (St Saviour’s), the distinguished pianist Harold Samuel, and two of Broadway’s doctors, Dr William Alexander and Dr Charles Standring who both had cricketing connections with the Australian team.

Touring with the Australians was Dr Roland ‘Rowley’ Pope, the team’s doctor. Dr Pope, like Dr Alexander, had studied medicine at Edinburgh University and played cricket for the University’s Eleven. Dr Pope had also been a good friend of Dr Henry ‘Tup’ Scott, captain of the Australian Cricket Team in 1886. Dr Scott retired from cricket at the end of the 1886 Ashes Tour and had stayed in London to pursue a career in medicine.

Dr Rowley Pope
Dr Rowley Pope by J. Blair Leighton

During Dr Scott’s time at King’s College Hospital he had played cricket with Dr Standring, who had joined Broadway Cricket Club shortly after his move to Broadway in 1893.  Within a few months of playing for Broadway, Dr Standring was elected to the Club’s Committee and served as Captain of the Club for 10 years from 1895 to 1905.

 

After a tour of the garden and Chapel at Court Farm, Australia’s captain, Armstrong, said that the chapel “was the most unique and sweet thing he ever saw and would carry the memory of it in his heart”. Harold Samuel gave a short piano recital before the team left Broadway calling at Capt Rodocanachi’s home, The Hill, at the top of the High Street to take in the view before heading for lunch in Stratford-upon-Avon. At Stratford the team met the English novelist Marie Corelli and visited Shakespeare’s birthplace, Anne Hathaway’s cottage, and Shakespeare’s monument in Holy Trinity Church before heading back to Birmingham.

A Broadway cricket enthusiast showed pardonable excitement when he heard of the arrival of the Australian cricketers on Sunday. Yes, he would snapshot them. So he borrowed a camera and cleaned and repaired it, and procured some plates after half-an-hour’s search. Then he hastened to the top of the village, hopeful of taking some fine pictures. Yes, it was very disappointing then to hear that the cricketers had departed half-an-hour before, and that not only had he no snapshots, but he had missed seeing them.

The Evesham Journal, 13 August 1921

Australia won the 1921 Ashes series. They won the first three matches against England (held at Trent Bridge, Lord’s and Headingley) which meant they had won 8 in succession, an unequalled sequence in Ashes Test Matches. The last two matches of the Test series (held at Old Trafford and The Oval) were drawn.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Farms and Land

Farms and Land in Broadway and the surrounding area

  • Farncombe Estate: The Estate was originally known as Farncombe Castle, and may have got its name from the proximity to a Roman camp (or castra) which is about 400 yards from the existing house. The house was built c1760 by Sir John Cotterell and the woodlands planted c1771. Mr C.W. Rodd lived at Farncombe and Willersey Hill in the early 1800s (he sold the house and farmstock in July 1821). General Lyon later lived in the house – he was known for his services in the Peninsula War and at Waterloo. Captain Frank Burges, OBE bought the house in 1920 from the Chadwick family who had owned it for 40 years and lived at Farncombe until his death on 12 April 1943. The house was also a VAD Hospital during the First World War and the offices of Group 4 when Jorgen Philip Sorenson bought the 100-acre estate in 1964. Six years later he added the adjoining property, Foxhill Manor which came with another 100 acres.
  • Low Farm
  • Peasebrook Farm
  • Peter’s Farm
  • Top Farm
  • West End Farm

26 August 1895 – Names of Broadway Fields

  • Rough Hill
  • Old Church Ground
  • Stall Ground
  • The Ledge
  • Booby’s Brook
  • Bratch
  • Craycombe
  • Knap Bank
  • Broadmoor
  • Slad
  • Longlands
  • Sperry’s Ground
  • Acorn Heads
  • Side Land
  • Cider Mill Orchard
  • Sugar Meadow
  • Dean’s Meadow
  • Hales Ground
  • Kite’s Nest
  • Dor Ground
  • Dor Meadow
  • Slip
  • Battymongers
  • Stall’s Orchard
  • Lowers
  • Green Pry
  • Darson
  • Parsonage
  • Portways
  • Cold Comfort
  • Lybrook
  • Corn Craft
  • Court Orchard
  • Coney Gree
  • Hen Acres
  • Fuzzle Hill
  • Church Piece
  • Dean Lowers
  • Sally Furlong
  • Gason
  • Wilderness
  • Flax Ground
  • Walker’s Stile
  • Kite’s Hill

Broadway’s Silver Jubilee Celebrations 6th May 1935

How Broadway Celebrated the Silver Jubilee
of HM King George V

In March 1935, a Broadway Jubilee Committee of 50 villagers, chaired by Clement Parsons (of Luggershill, Springfield Lane), was appointed to organise a number of events across the village to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of HM King George V. Under Treasurer, Alexander Lomas1, a Jubilee Fund was set up which raised a total of £148 2s to fund the village’s celebrations.

On Monday 6th May 1935, Broadway celebrated the King’s Jubilee in style. The day started at 9am with a peal of church bells at St Eadburgha’s Church. Members of the Broadway branch of the British Legion, Boy Scouts and Girl Guides accompanied by a number of schoolchildren processed down the High Street to the War Memorial on the green, where a Service of Thanksgiving was held at 10.15am. The service, officiated by the Rev. Vincent H. Patrick, Vicar of St Michael’s, and the Congregational Minister, Rev. S.T. Butler, was attended by hundreds of villagers gathered on the village green.

Silver Jubilee, Broadway War Memorial 1935
Thanksgiving Service at Broadway War Memorial 6th May 1935. Photo ©P. Hutchinson Photographer, Broadway

Open Gardens and an Afternoon of Sports on Broad Close

During the afternoon, various sporting events, organised by the North Cotswold Athletic Club were held at Broad Close including events for the younger children and a men’s cross country race from Broad Close up to Broadway Tower and back – the race was won by J. Stokes2.

Broad Close, Broadway 6 May 1935
Broad Close, Broadway 6 May 1935

The athletic events, conducted under the rules of the Amateur Athletic Association, were organised by a Committee headed by Brigadier-General Napier assisted by; Frank A. Folkes (Secretary and Treasurer), Captain C.M. Napier, Dr William G. Alexander, Dr M.C. Beatty, Reginald Y.T. Kendall3 (of Abbot’s Grange), Charles Steward, Mr Harvey, A. Beard, C. Ingram, G.F. Knott, Archibald J. Bridgeman (Headmaster of Broadway Council School), Miss Tilley, Miss Ingles, R. Rawlings, R. Stokes, R. Holland, Rex Morris, and L.J. Smith.

Silver Jubilee Celebrations, Broadway, 6th May 1935
Silver Jubilee Celebrations, Broadway, 6th May 1935. Photo ©P. Hutchinson Photographer, Broadway

Music for the event was provided by L. Hensley and the prizes were awarded by two of the village’s oldest residents, Thomas and Elizabeth Figgitt4. The couple were driven to Broad Close from their home at Swan Cottage along the High Street in an open-top waggon provided by Don G.S. Russell (owner of the Lygon Arms). After the sports, a tea party for children and parishioners was held in a marquee erected on the Recreation Ground. 

From 12 noon until 4pm, gardens across the village were opened to the public. The open gardens were organised by the Jubilee Gardens Committee headed by Miss Pemberton and Miss Webb. The gardens, which were open free of charge, included: Orchard Farm (Lady Maud Bowes Lyon), Court Farm (Mary Anderson de Navarro, garden designed by Alfred Parsons), Lygon Arms (Don G.S. Russell), Bannits (Mrs Rees Price, garden designed by Alfred Parsons), Farncombe House (Frank Burges OBE), Abbot’s Grange (Reginald Y.T. and Evelyn H. Kendall), Austin House (Stratford C. and Eva A. Saunders) and Luggershill (Clement Parsons).

Torchlight Procession to the Beacon at Broadway Tower

After dark, a torchlight procession of villagers made its way up to Broadway Tower where a beacon bonfire had been built by the Boy Scouts with wood provided by George Foster. The bonfire at the Tower formed part of a chain of beacons across the country. HM King George lit the first of the beacons in Hyde Park, and at 10pm the chain of beacons around the country were lit. As the Broadway Beacon was lit, a red, green and yellow rockets, symbolising the colours of the Scouts, were fired. It was reported that thousands of people made their way up to Broadway Tower to see the beacon and firework display.

 

Broadway Tower 6 May 1935
Broadway Tower 6 May 1935

Jubilee Dance and Jubilee Trees

The following Thursday evening, a Jubilee Dance , organised by Joan Warren, Violet Folkes, Mabel Figgitt, J. Keyte and P. Derrick, was held in the Lifford Memorial Hall. Villagers danced the night away to Eddie Mace and his Super Band, and prizes to the best dancers were awarded to Mr & Mrs Ken Riley and May Keyte.

After the celebrations, two commemoration oak seats set on staddlestones were installed on the High Street. The remainder of the Jubilee Fund5 was used to purchase a number of horse chestnut and lime trees, the ‘Jubilee Trees’, were planted along the Cheltenham Road and High Street, many of which can still be seen today.

Debbie Williamson

 

Notes:

  1. Alexander Fred Lomas (1896-1965) was Manager of the Broadway branch of the Midland Bank.
  2. The results of the cross-country race: 1st: J. Stokes, 2nd: Les Arnold, 3rd: Victor Dudley Tittensor (1916-1989), 4th: W. Payne.
  3. Reginald Young Turnbull Kendall (1897-1963)
  4. See Thomas F. Figgitt (1863-1936)
  5. It had been hoped initially that sufficient funds would be raised to add to the fund set up in the 1920s to build a community swimming pool in the village.

 

HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (1921-2021) visits Broadway, 15th March 1968

HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, visited Broadway on Friday 15th March 1968, when he paid a visit to the Gordon Russell factory and the Lygon Arms Hotel. During his visit, the Duke met several villagers, workers and former workers of the furniture manufacturer Gordon Russell Ltd. Afterwards the Duke had lunch at the Lygon Arms with directors of the hotel, Gordon Russell Ltd, and Sir Gerard Nabarro MP for South Worcestershire, before a tour of the hotel which had recently been extended and refurbished.

Gordon Russell Ltd was first awarded a Royal Warrant in 1938 by Appointment to Her Majesty the Queen1, the firm having supplied pieces of furniture on a number of occasions to King George VI and his family. In 1957 the firm were commissioned to make another piece of furniture by the Royal Family. Employee, John “Jack” Blakeman of Broadway, was involved in the manufacturing of an occasional table, designed by Richard Drew “Dick” Russell, depicting a map of the D-Day Landings2. The table was presented by HM Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke, to President Eisenhower during their stay at the White House in October 1957. It was following this special commission that the Duke was invited to tour the Gordon Russell factory in Broadway.

Sir Gordon Russell receiving the Albert Gold Medal of the Royal Society of Arts for services to industrial design from the Duke of Edinburgh in 1962 – photo from Cotswolds.com

Amongst the villagers the Duke met on 15th March was Philip Chinn (see photo below) whose father worked in the Drawing Office at the factory.

The Duke of Edinburgh talking to Richard Chinn, Broadway – photo Birmingham Post

After lunch at the Lygon Arms, the Duke toured the hotel meeting members of staff. Following his visit, one of the new conference and entertaining rooms in the newly built Orchard Wing, The Edinburgh Room, was named after the Duke.

The Duke of Edinburgh at the Lygon Arms Hotel with Head Chef Charles Francis Hollington (far left), Chris Stapleton and Josef Heger (far right) – photo courtesy of Christine Dalton

The following newspaper report of his visit to Broadway appeared in the Birmingham Post the following day, 16 March 1968:

An informal Duke of Edinburgh put workers at their ease yesterday when he visited the Broadway furniture factory of Gordon Russell Ltd. He questioned them in detail about their training, work and home lives. Barriers of reserves and shyness broke down, and he received uninhibited answers.

The Duke’s arrival brought rousing cheers from the scores of villagers lining the main street. After signing the visitors’ book, he was shown around the factory by Sir Gordon Russell and the firm’s chairman, Mr. D.G.S. Russell. He was welcomed to Worcestershire by the Deputy Lieutenant of the County, Lt.-Col. I.W.D. Smith, representing the Lord Lieutenant, who was abroad.

The Duke was shown current and historical displays, and he put dozens of probing questions to his hosts about the furniture. In the contract room, he met 15 pensioners who had been specially invited back to their old place of work for the occasion. One of them was Mr. Lawrence Boyes, aged 67, who retired from the firm two years ago. Mr. Boyes, who was in a wheelchair, told the Duke that he had worked at the factory for 36 years. Also among the pensioners was Mr. H. Alloway, who was mainly responsible for the lecture bench and lectern which the Duke, as President, presented to the Royal Society of Arts in 1957.

The Duke was introduced to 5 apprentices who have gained Premier awards in the craftsmanship competition organised by the Gloucestershire and South Worcestershire Productivity Association. The award winners, Jonathan Millichap, Nigel Warner, David Boston, Robert Bearcroft, and Roderick Goodman, stood behind examples of their work as the Duke spoke to them. In another department, the Duke chatted with Michael Horne, aged 20, of Mill Avenue, Broadway, who was compiling lists of orders. The Duke was surprised to hear that Michael travelled all the way to Birmingham in the evenings for classes in cabinetmaking and design.

Martin Hall, age 25, explained to the Duke that the details of a plan he was preparing for the furnishing of a hostel at Bedford College of Education.

When he crossed the factory yard, the Duke stopped and spoke to wives of employees, who had left their housework to see him. Mrs. Hilda Jones, of Orchard Avenue, Broadway, told the Duke that her husband, Bert, had been working at Gordon Russell Ltd. as a cabinet maker for 40 years.

In the crowd was Mrs. Lillian Blakeman, whose late husband, Jack, made a formica-top table which the Queen presented to General Eisenhower several years ago. After leaving the factory, the Duke walked along a sunlit pavement, to the sound of enthusiastic clapping, to lunch at the nearby Lygon Arms. There he was introduced to Sir Gerald Nabarro, MP for South Worcestershire; Mr. J.D. Wilson, chairman of Evesham Rural Council; Mr.W.R. Pritchard, chairman of Broadway Parish Council, and Prof. R.D. Russell, the design consultant of Gordon Russell Ltd.

After lunch he toured the hotel, visiting the new kitchens, the Orchard Wing, which will come into use in a few weeks, the Garden Wing, completed a few years ago, and some of the 17th century rooms in the original building.

It was the first occasion that the Orchard Wing could be used, and this was made possible by the special efforts of the architects, Russell and Hodgson, and the builders W.A. Cox (Evesham) Ltd. The first advance copy of the Gordon Russell’s autobiography, Designer’s Trade, was sent from London so that he could present it to the Duke. The book, published by Alan and Unwin, will be on sale from May 23. Gordon Russell Ltd, was founded by Sir Gordon in 1919, after he returned from war service. His father, Mr. S.B. Russell, had an antique business which he started shortly after taking over the Lygon Arms in 1904.

Debbie Williamson
Broadway History Society

Notes:

  1. Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon (4 August 1900 – 30 March 2002), later known as Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. Her Aunt, Lady Maud Bowes-Lyon lived at Orchard Farm, Broadway.
  2. The table was manufactured in English walnut, the top was in Formica with a screen-printed map of the D-Day Landings used by President Eisenhower (reproduced by Thomas De La Rue & Co Ltd.) and topped with plate glass. The legs and rails of the table were covered in black calfskin which an inscription referring to the presentation of the table by the Queen to the President. The table took 4 weeks to make and travelled with the Queen and the Duke on their aeroplane to North America.

Tudor House (formerly The Angel Inn)

Tudor House was purpose built in the 17th century as a coaching inn, The Angel, to serve the Ludlow to London route. In 1691 the innkeeper was William Willis. The Inn later become a private residence and its name was changed to Tudor House.

Tudor House, Broadway
Tudor House, High Street, Broadway

 

Residents of Tudor House have included:

  • William Willis (innkeeper).
  • In the late 1800s: Plaxton Samuel Carless until his death in 1892 when the house was sold by auction on 27 September 1892.
  • As tenants from 1899 to 1907: Captain John William ‘James’ Rodgers ( Rogers) (1844-1907) and Mrs Rodgers. Also of Fromore, The Lickey, Bromsgrove and formerly of Liverpool. Capt Rodgers was a master mariner and later a part proprietor of The Prince of Wales Theatre, Birmingham.
  • 1907 to 1910: Mr & Mrs Benjamin Chandler
  • Sir Richard Amphlett Lamb & Mrs Katrina Lamb
  • Mr G.B. Hudson
  • Mrs Arthur
  • Mr Frederick George Wells
  • Mr Henry W. Keil – for 80 years it was the headquarters of H.W. Keil Ltd.

Tudor House has been extended and adapted over the years but still retains many of its original features and architectural flourishes reflecting trends of the passing eras. Since 2013 it has been home to Broadway Museum and Art Gallery.

Tudor House, Broadway
Tudor House, High Street, Broadway (formerly the Angel Inn)

Dr Axel M.F. Munthe (1857-1949)

Axel Martin Fredrik Munthe (1857-1949), the Swedish physician, psychiatrist, and author of The Story of San Michele, first came to Broadway in 1907 and lived for a short time afterwards at The Malt House, High Street, Broadway.

Dr Axel Munthe Broadway
Dr Axel Munthe ©Howard Carter FRSA

Born in Sweden on 31 October 1857, Munthe studied medicine in Paris. He became a distinguished physician and was appointed chief physician to Queen Victoria of Sweden in 1892.

Munthe firstly married Ultima Hornberg, a Swede, on 24 November 1880, whom he met while she was studying art in Paris. They divorced in the late 1880s and in 1887, Munthe moved to Capri where he purchased and rebuilt the Villa San Michele in Anacapri. 

On 16 May 1907, Munthe married English aristocrat, Hilda Pennington Mellor (1876–1967) at the Parish Church, Paddington, London. He was 49 and she was 29 years of age. The couple honeymooned at Sunnyside, 72 High Street, Broadway, a guest house run by Mrs Charlotte Kendrick. Sid Knight, who worked as a house boy at Sunnyside, recounts in his book Cotswold Lad  the arrival of Dr and Mrs Munthe’s arrival at the guest house:

Presently the rumbling of wheels disturbed the quiet of the High Street as into view lumbered the station fly owned by the Lygon Arms Hotel, the top piled high with luggage bearing railway and hotel labels from all over Europe. The horse-drawn four-wheeler came to a sedate halt alongside the grass verge that separated roadway from sidewalk, and two imposing figures alighted. One was a woman who to my boyish mind was of unbelievable beauty and charm …… followed by a tall, well-built man, a menacing figure in black…. Over his dark suit he wore a dark, flowing cape ……… A black Homburg shaded his black spade beard, and down his face ran a deep scar ………. rumour said was caused by a falling chimney pot in Stockholm one dark, windy night….Big dark glasses obscured his eyes……..

After a period at Sunnyside, the couple went on to settle in the village at The Malt House, High Street. The Munthe household is recorded in the 1911 Census1:

  1. Hilda Munthe, wife, 31 years old, living on own means, born France, British.
  2. Viking John Axel (Peter) Munthe, son, 2 years old, born London, Swede.
  3. Ludwig Malcolm Grane Munthe, son, 1 year old, born London, Swede.
  4. Sarah Smith, servant – cook, 60 years old, married, born Battersea, London.
  5. May Watts, servant – nurse, 16 years old, single, born Broadway, Worcestershire.
  6. Irene Launer, servant – housemaid, 14 years old, single, born France, French.
  7. Loetitia de Céligny, guest – visitor, 9 years old, born France, French.
  8. Catherine de Céligny, guest – visitor, 31 years old, born France, French.

Sid Knight, who worked at Sunnyside as a houseboy, also worked at The Malt House as a houseboy and his cousin Ada was cook for the Munthe household for many years, travelling and living with them in Rome, Berlin and Stockholm before settling with them at San Michele were it is said King Edward2 used to visit them.

The Malt House, Broadway ©David Lovell
The Malt House, High Street, Broadway ©David Lovell

During 1910, Munthe had a 14-room summer home, Stengården, built in Leksand, Sweden as a gift to his wife. Hilda landscaped Stengården with an English garden, and furnished it with 17th, 18th and 19th-century art and furniture from Italy, England and France.

For s short period during the First World War, Munthe volunteered and served with the British Ambulance Corps in France3. After the war, Munthe was more often at San Michele until his eyesight deteriorated. Sid Knight recounts in his book his last memory of seeing Mrs Munthe in Broadway, towards the end of the First World War, by which time Munthe and his wife, Hilda, were separated.

Munthe’s autobiographical book, The Story of San Michele, was first published in 1929. It was later translated into 25 different languages. Following an operation in Zurich in 1934, his sight was partially restored.

It was reported in the Lancashire Evening Post on 13 August 1937:

Dr. Axel Munthe, having completed his annual visit to England, left to-day for Stockholm, where he will stay with one of his oldest friends – the King of Sweden.

Bearded, dark spectacled, elusive, Dr. Munthe is still a Swede by nationality. Before the war he was on the point of adopting British nationality. But the war delayed the process of nationalisation, and he abandoned his intention.

Formerly, Dr Munthe had a house at Broadway, in Worcestershire. Now, though he belongs to the St. James Club, he has no English residence. But he remains an Englishman in spirit, and frets at being obliged to pass through the aliens’ barrier whenever he lands in this country.

Munthe was made a Commander of the Royal Victorian Order in 1905. He died on 11 February 1949, aged 91, in the Royal Palace in Stockholm and his ashes were scattered in the North Sea.

 

Notes:

  1. The 1911 Census for England and Wales was taken on the night of Sunday 2 April, 1911.
  2. From Cotswold Lad by Sid Knight, published 1960.
  3. See Red Cross & Iron Cross by Axel Munthe, published 1916.

Buildings and Businesses of Broadway

Abbot’s Grange, Church Street

The Grange was built c1320 by William de Harvington, Abbot of Pershore. The Grange was restored by the American artist Francis ‘Frank’ Millet who lived at Farnham House and used the building as his studio. 

Abbot’s Grange, Church Street

Abbot’s Grange Cottages, Church Street: formerly two cottages, now one cottage.

Acton House: the former Co-op.

Alderton Lodge: now part of the Lygon Arms (the brasserie).

Aldington Lodge: located next to Broadway Close

Argyle Parade, Leamington Road: now Ashmore’s and Cotswold Building Supplies

Austin House, Church Streetthe house was built in the early 1700s. It was once the home of Lord and Lady Lifford.

Bankside: Built in 1860, the home of the Hensley family and of Mr Jolly’s waggon and haulage business.

Bannits: Church Street: was the Baker’s Arms until 1912. Owned by Mr & Mrs Rees Price (with gardens designed by Alfred Parsons), Mr & Mrs Peter Lidner and the Juckes family.

Barn House: Originally built for Mr Jones, a baker in 1657. The house and barn were later converted by Mr G.B. Game (Mrs Folkes worked for the Game family). Other residents: Major Tristram (Fred Pendrey was his chauffeur) and Mrs Maudsley whose son, Squadron Leader Henry E. Maudslay, DFC (1921-1943) was killed during a Dambuster raid in 1943.

Bell Yard: c1700 once a coaching inn.

Belleview: Meadow Cottage, the end of Morris Road.

The Bindery: From 1907, bookbinder Miss Katharine Adams. Also Nason and Milne and used to hold Sunday School meetings.

Broad Close: Once the home of Isaac Averill, Bill Scott and the Keil family.

Broadway Mill: in 1528, the mill was rented by William Hannow.

Broadway Pottery (Lower Fold, Keytes Lane)

Brown’s Bakery, 14 The Green: Bakery, tobacconist and confectioner’s.

Buckland Villa

Cambria House: Colonel Henry Sidney, DSO, Dr & Mrs Houghton and Major & Mrs Fanshawe (Master of the North Cotswold Hunt).

China Square: The two cottages to the left of the entrance to Springfield Lane. Before the Second World War the cottages were occupied by Nurse Bricknell and the Sollis family. It is believed that the cottages became known as China Square as a former resident was an amateur potter and a kiln is present among the brickwork.

Clump Farm

Coach & Horses: A farm until 1837 when it was converted in to a pub.

Colletts Tea Rooms and Gardens

Copgrove, West End: a farmhouse was built in the 16th century and later converted into two cottages. The cottages were dismantled and a single dwelling, turned through 90 degrees was rebuilt (from 1906 to 1910) by architects, Charles Bateman and George Henry Hunt, for Mr G. Sewell. Mr & Mrs Pierce Duncombe later lived at Copgrove.

The Court, Snowshill Road: consists of a 16th century gatehouse for a mansion or court that once existed to the east.

Court Farm: Originally two farms. Purchased by Mr & Mrs de Navarro in 1893.

Cowley House: owned by Mr & Mrs R.B. Harbidge, Bill Clifton and the Kemp family.

Dickens House/Sands Farm: home of the Dickins family until the mid 1770s.

Farnham House  (Farnham Villa)

Fencote (see Roseville): Miss Massie lived at the house and ran it as a guesthouse. The house burnt down in January 1935 (Miss Massie escaped unhurt, saved by Mr H. Ellis). Also used as Steward’s Yard.

The Fish Garage: owned by the Jones family in the 1960s when it sold Esso petrol and secondhand cars and vans.

Fish Inn

The Fish Inn, Broadway Hill
The Fish Inn, Broadway Hill (now Fish Hill)

Fleabank or Shakespeare’s Cottages: many of the families who lived in the cottages were involved in glovemaking.

Fleabank, Shakespeare’s Cottages, Broadway
Fleabank, High Street

Forge House: one of the oldest cottages in the village.

Fox Yard

Grey Gables: Originally known as ‘Gables’, the house dates back to the 17th century. Once the home of Sir Keyte, Mrs Ellison. Hon. R. Ward.

Happylands: Mr Taylor. Capt. Alan Samuel Butler (1898-1987).

Heeks Yard, High Street: behind Monk’s House

The Hollyhocks (also Ivy House and Broadway Hotel).

The Hollyhocks also known as Ivy House now the Broadway Hotel

Hunters Lodge: also known previously as Ballybroust and Trinafour. Once owned by W.B. Game (of Barn House), Sir Andrew Skeen, and Kurt and Dottie Friendli who ran it as a restaurant and guesthouse.

Ivy House (also The Hollyhocks and the Broadway Hotel).

Kylsant House, Church Street: built by Tom Phillipps, the father of Sir Thomas Phillipps and named after a relative of the family. Once the home of; the author, Joan Fleming, Charles McNeill, Master of the North Cotswold Fox Hounds, and Audrey Withers, editor of Vogue.

Lifford Memorial Hall: built in 1915 in memory of Lord Lifford.

Low Farm: bought by Russell’s in 1920 as a showroom.

Lower Fold, Keyte’s Lane (see Broadway Pottery)

Lower Mill, Cheltenham Road

Luggers Hill, Springfield Lane, now Luggers Hall.

Lygon Arms formerly known as The White Hart: The first written record of the Lygon Arms dates back to 1377 when it was referred to as the White Hart. The hart, the personal symbol of King Richard II (1367-1400).

After Richard’s usurpation by his cousin Henry IV, the inn changed its name in 1400 to the White Swan (the swan a symbol of the House of Lancaster). Under Henry’s Lancastrian son, Henry V, the inn took on the name the Hart and Swan. However, Records from 1530 and Parish Records of 1532 record Thomas White, a local wool merchant, as the landlord of The White Hart.

In the reign of James I the inn was known as The George but by 1620 records show it was being referred to as The Swan again and by 1641 it had reverted back to The White Hart.

From 1604 to 1641 the landlord was John Trevis. He added the front door with its stone arch in 1620 upon which his initials, along with those of his wife, Ursula, are carved.

In the 18th century, the Inn became an important staging post for coaches travelling through Broadway along the main road from London to Worcester and Wales. To cope with the volume of business, the White Hart Inn was expanded and stabling for over 30 horses was built. The landlord at this time was Giles Atwood, who was commended for his fine management by Lord Torrington, a recognised diarist, and after whom the Lygon’s Torrington Room is named.

After 1815, Captain, later Major, Edward Lygon, an officer at Waterloo and son of the first Earl Beauchamp of Madresfield, who had purchased the nearby Springhill Estate, owned the inn and it was managed by his steward Charles Drury. Its name was subsequently changed to the Lygon Arms (recorded as such in the 1841 Census of Broadway). Charles Drury purchased the inn in 1867 and it remained in the Drury family until 1903 when it was purchased by Sidney Bolton Russell at the cost of £6,000.

In 1910 a major development was initiated by Sydney Russell. He employed Sir Aston Webb to construct a Great Hall over the hotel’s garden and the old 18th century assembly room. Webb, who had designed the Queen Victoria Memorial in front of Buckingham Palace, incorporated a salvaged 17th century barrel-vaulted ceiling into what is now the hotel’s dining room.

After World War I the premises of the Capital and County, Broadway’s first bank, were incorporated into the hotel. The ground floor of this extension served first as a Buttery and since 2013 it has been used as a Brasserie.

During the 1930s, Russell passed the management of the Lygon to his son Donald. Soon after he took over, the Second World War broke out. Among these visiting servicemen at the time was an Australian, Douglas Barrington. In 1945, after the war had ended, Barrington returned to The Lygon Arms and was appointed to the Board of Directors in 1946 and later Managing Director in 1956.

In 1986, the Savoy Group acquired the Lygon Arms at a cost of £4.7million. Kirk Ritchie was appointed Managing Director and General Manager, having been at the hotel since 1975.

The Malt House: Originally two cottages until 1893 when it was altered by Mrs Griffin. Axel Munthe then Colonel Henry Sidney, DSO (1879-1954) also lived at the house.

Middle Hill: Built by William Taylor, Recorder of Evesham in 1724.

Midland Bank Cottages: Mr & Mrs Fridlington, Steward.

Milestone House

Milestone House, Broadway
Milestone House (far left), High Street

Mill Hay, Snowshill Road: built c1651 as Upper Mill. It was bought by Mrs Chesterman (the daughter of Lord Carson) in the 1930s.

The Old Curiosity Shop

The Old Curiosity Shop, Broadway
The Old Curiosity Shop, High Street

The Old Schoolrooms, High Street

Orchard Farm House: Once home to Lady Maud Bowes-Lyon, Sir Gerald Nabarro MP and the Misses Barrie.

Orchard Farm, High Street

Pear Tree House: Once school under Dr Parry. Miss Webb-Johnson, Morgan and Bland- Sutton.

Pethuel Lodge: later known as Barn Close.

Pethuel Lodge (far right)

Picton House: Sir Thomas Philipps and Miss Philipps.

Picton House (left), Yew Tree House (right), High Street

Pike Cottage: also fondly known for many years as ‘Tup Stanley’s’. Tolls were collected until c1865.

Pond Close: Dr Alexander (Mrs Bown, surgery) and Mr Symondson.

Portway Villa, Cheltenham Road

Prior’s Manse, High Street.

Pye Corner House

Ram’s Alley: alongside 101 High Street

Roseville (see Fencote)

Russell Cottages: 12 cottages were built inn 1922, 10 burnt down in 1934.

Russell House: built in 1791 by John Russell. Originally the Swan Inn. Mr & Mrs Francis ‘Frank’ Millet from 1886.

St Patrick’s: once a vicarage until c. 1849. Later a tearoom and currently Broadway Deli.

St Patrick’s, Broadway
St Patrick’s when it was the tearoom ‘As You Like It’ in the 1930s

Sands Meadow: built in 1914 for Mrs Mary E. Pemberton (wife of Thomas Edgar Pemberton).

Smallbrook Cottage, Leamington Road

South View (Broad Close)

Springfield House, Springfield Lane: Once the home of Lord and Lady Blomfield, Edwin A. Abbey, RA and Viscount Lifford.

Steward’s Yard (see Fencote)

Stokes Yard

Sunnyside, 72 High Street

Sylvan Villa, Snowshill Road, now Mill Hay

Sands Farm/Dickens House

Tan Yard: now Almshouses

Top Farm: Owned by Thomas Wells until his death in 1910, then by his widow. The house and farm buildings were divided up after the Second World War. Subsequent owners; Page, Goitein and Barrington.

Tuck Mill, Childswickham Road: c1720

Tudor Cottage

Tudor House formerly the Angel Inn.

Vineyards, Leamington Road (last house)

Westonville, High Street (next to Sunnyside opposite the United Reformed Church)

Wychwood House: once a pub (Baillie) and the home of Edward Tennyson Reed (1860–1933), cartoonist and illustrator, primarily known for his cartoons in Punch Magazine.

West End Farm

The White Hart (see Lygon Arms)

Wyck House, West End: now Manor Farm House

Yew Tree House

Yew Tree House (right of Picton House), High Street

 

Buckland Manor and Wormington Grange: War Nurseries during the Second World War and a Visit from Queen Mary

A War Nursery near Broadway is Founded

During the autumn of 1940, seven young children were removed from the dangers of living in war torn London to rural Buckland just outside Broadway. The evacuation and rehoming of the children was funded by the American Red Cross and the Surdna Foundation1 who had arranged for The Waifs and Strays Society (now The Church of England Children’s Society) to run a War Nursery2 at Buckland Manor.

In July 1940, Lady Ismay of nearby Wormington Grange3, whose husband, General Hastings Ismay was Winston Churchill’s chief military assistant, had taken in 30 London evacuees under the age of two. Children under five4 were difficult to place with families and Lady Ismay was approached by the Society’s secretary, Mr W.R. Vaughan, to find another suitable home for a small number of very young children.

At the time there were three Receiving Nurseries in London in which children under five were received for medical inspection, issue of clothing, etc., before being evacuated to the country to nurseries set up to specially cater for their needs.

Mr & Mrs Charles T. Scott of Buckland Manor offered their home to the Society and by November 1940, seven youngsters had taken up residence in a wing of the house under the care of Matron Miss Bride. Mrs Jane Scott (who became the Nursery’s Commandant) was often seen taking the children for a walk and her cook, Margaret ‘Bessie’ Andrews, prepared the children’s meals. Lady Victoria Forester, Lady-in-Waiting to Queen Mary, who lived at Furze Hill, Willersey, was also involved in the children’s welfare. Clothes and toys for the children were provided by the Women’s Voluntary Services both in London and Broadway, and additional children’s clothing from sewing parties held in the village.

Miss Bride told a reporter from The Evesham Journal that the children can “run just where they like” and although many arrived tearful and homesick they soon settled into life in the Cotswolds countryside. Miss Bride’s charges were all from London; Tony (the eldest), Maureen (the youngest, aged 20 months), Ernest, Eileen, David, Sailor and Ronald.

Buckland Manor c1944
Buckland Manor c1944

Queen Mary visits the War Nursery at Buckland Manor

By 1944, under Matron Miss Frank, the nursery at Buckland Manor had grown to be one of the largest in the area caring for 36 children5. Amongst the children, all aged under five, were children of Birmingham City transport workers as well as those with parents serving in HM Forces.

On Thursday 10th August 1944, Queen Mary paid an informal visit to Buckland Manor to see the children. The Queen was accompanied by Lady Constance Milnes Gaskell, Lady Victoria Forester and Major Forester, the local MP William Morrison and his wife Katharine Morrison, and Colonel George Mackie (County Director of the British Red Cross). The Queen stayed for half an hour and on leaving was presented with a bouquet of roses by two year old Gillian Adams from Birmingham.

The War Nursery at Buckland Manor closed down shortly after the end of the Second World War in late 1945/early 19466.

 

Debbie Williamson
Broadway History Society

Notes:

  1. The Surdna Foundation was established as a charitable foundation in 1917 by the American John Emory Andrus to pursue a range of philanthropic purposes.
  2. The first War Nursery was set up in February 1940 at Dallington in Northamptonshire. By the end of 1940, 30 nurseries were in existence housing over a thousand babies and young children. After the United States of America entered the war in 1942, the Ministry of Health undertook full financial responsibility for the nurseries, the total number of which grew to 400.
  3. In November 1942, Eleanor Roosevelt, the First Lady of the United States ( 4 March 1933 – 12 April 1945) visited the War Nursery at Wormington Grange.
  4. Approximately 89%, of all under fives evacuated were sent from the London area, and by August, 1945, the Metropolitan Evacuation Panel had dealt with applications for over 60,000 children many of which were applying for temporary evacuation. 9,046 young children were evacuated through the London Receiving Nurseries.
  5. The War Nursery at Wormington Grange had also increased in size, caring for up to 60 children.
  6. The War Nurseries were gradually closed after the end of the war. However, some 10,000 children across all ages were unable to return home for various reasons and had to be cared for until homes could be found. The War Nursery at Wormington Grange closed in February 1946.

 

 

One Hundred Years Ago: 8th September 1920

Afternoon Treat for the Children of Broadway

During the afternoon of Tuesday 8th September 1920, the annual treat given to the children attending Broadway Council Schools took place in the village. The children assembled at the schools, the Scouts leading the boys and the Girl Guides leading the girls. The children walked to church where a short service was held, led by Reverent F. Lambert, Minister of Broadway’s Congregational Church.

After the church service the children marched to the field at Top Farm, Bibsworth Lane, kindly lent by Mrs Wells , where tea was waiting for them. After tea the children participated in games until dusk.

 

Debbie Williamson
Broadway History Society

Today: The re-opening of the Gordon Russell Design Museum, Broadway

Gordon Russell Design Museum Broadway
Gordon Russell Design Museum, Broadway

Today, the Gordon Russell Design Museum, Russell Square, in Broadway, is reopening its doors after a period of closure. The Museum will only be open on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 11am-4pm. Visits must be pre-booked and tickets are available via the Museum’s website.

Sir Gordon Russell
Sir S.G. Russell (1892-1980)

 

The Gordon Russell Museum tells the story of the Gordon Russell furniture company, which was based in Broadway for over 60 years, and explores the influence and legacy of Gordon Russell’s designs on a broad spectrum of 20th century design.

 

The Museum has implemented new safety procedures to ensure visits are as safe and straightforward as possible, and visitors who pre-book will have the whole museum to themselves during their booked time slot.

Sports Day August 1920

Broadway Fete and Sports Day Organised by the Broadway Branch of the Comrades of the Great War Association

On Monday 2nd August 1920, the Broadway Branch of the Comrades of the Great War1 held their annual Fete and Sports Day at Broad Close. A committee, chaired by Donald Russell (owner of the Lygon Arms) with sports secretaries, W. Benfield. A. Ingram and M. Bates, organised the afternoon’s activities. The sporting events included; flat and hurdle racing, pony racing, bowling for a pig (which was won by Mr Sandals of West End) and a greasy pole. There was also a costume parade – the prize for the best dressed was awarded to Charles Savage who dressed up as a female land worker.

A tent was erected at Broad Close and refreshments were supplied by Mrs Nicholls, Mrs Warren, Mrs Jacques, Mrs Austin Davies, Mrs H. Collins and Mrs C. Jordan and the Broadway Brass Band played during the afternoon. The prizes were awarded to the winning competitors by Antonio de Navarro of Court Farm.

The Evesham Standard & West Midland Observer reported the following results on 7th August:

100 yards handicap for boys under 14: 1 R. Burrows2, 2 G. Lloyd 3. F. Dyer
Ladies egg and spoon race: 1 Elsie Steward3, 2. N. Lloyd, 3. C. Savage
120 yards flat handicap: 1 Augustus Cotterell4, 2 P.G. Biles5, 3 A. Hardwick
220 years hurdle race: 1 Charles Steward 2 J. Harrison 3 J.C. Biggs
Half mile handicap: 1 J. Cotterell, 2 C. Barnett, 3 Charles Steward
One mile flat handicap: 1 J. Cotterell, 2 W. Hartwell 3 P.G. Biles
100 yards veteran race (over 50): 1 W. Gilder6, 2 Fred Hill, 3 W.H. Biles
300 yards flat handicap: 1 H. Sandals, 2 D. Holland, 3 J.C. Biggs
440 yards obstacle race: 1 J. Cotterell, 2 Charles Steward, 3 J.C. Biggs
One mile walking race: This proved very exciting with Robinson and Folkes making a dead heat for first place with Steward well up.

Three teams entered for the tug of war, the visitors’ team obtaining the verdict rather easily. In the pony racing:

Ponies 13 hands and up: 1 Mr F.C. Cotterell’s ‘Blue Bell’, 2 Mr A. Proctor’s ‘Jenny’
Ponies up to 13.2h: 1 ‘Lightning’ 2 ‘Jenny’
Ponies up to 14h: ‘Lightning’ won easily, 2 ‘Jenny’
Horses of any height: 1 Mr F.C. Cotterell’s ‘Never Mind’, 2 Mr J. Atkin’s ‘Paddy’

Following its success, the fete and sports day was repeated the following year at Broad Close. It was held on the August Bank Holiday 1921 but following the amalgamation of the Comrades Association to form The British Legion the event was not held again.

In 1935, the North Cotswold Athletic Association organised an afternoon of sports on Broad Close, part of the village’s celebrations of the Silver Jubilee of HM King George V.

 

Debbie Williamson
Broadway History Society

Notes:

1. The Comrades of the Great War was formed in 1917 as an association to represent the rights of ex-servicemen and women who had served or been discharged from service during the First World War. It was one of the original four ex-service associations that amalgamated on Sunday 15th May 1921 to form The British Legion.
2. Reginald Harry Burrows (1906-1957)
3. Elsie Horne Steward (1909-1999), daughter of Charles E. Steward.
4. Augustine Cotterell (1901-1965)
5. Percy George Biles (1898-1996)
6. William Gilder (1859-1930)

Broadway Visitors in 1892

James Bettner Ludlow
James Bettner Ludlow (1859-1921)

From the mid 1880s, the rural idyll of Broadway became a popular destination for visitors from across the world. The Broadway Colony of artists, composers and writers, some of whom made Broadway their home, attracted a number of their friends from Europe and America to the village. Local newspapers regularly published lists of people who visited and stayed in the area at the time. The Evesham Journal reported in October 1892 that the following visitors had been staying in Broadway that summer:

Argyle Parade: Miss Murray (from London), Miss Paton (Wales), Mr Clutterbuck (Merioneth)

Cowley House, hosted by Mrs Righton: Mr & Mrs J.T. Morris and family1 (Ballinaboy House, Ireland)

The Green, Mrs Stanley: Mrs Harris and Mr Edward Harris (Windsor)

Ivy House, Mrs Holcroft: Miss Macpherson (Lichfield), Miss Davis (Bilston), Mr & Mrs Norton (Edgbaston)

The Low Farm, Miss Tennant: Major Corbett (Worcester)

J.W. Lill & Sons, Birmingham

The Lygon Arms Hotel, Charles Drury: Mr C Dixon, Mr H.M. Dixon, Miss Dora Dixon (Edgbaston), Mr Fred G. Clarke (Eastbourne), Mr. G.H.M. Morley (Birmingham), Mr J.W. Lill, Mr A. Lill, Mr D. Lill (Solihull), Monsieur Louis Saurin (Rue des Roses, Paris), Mr W.J. Gale2 (Toronto, Canada), Mr James Bettner Ludlow3 (New York), Mr & Mrs James Smith (Moseley, Birmingham), Mr & Mrs Lewis (Gloucester), Mr Joel Wainwright4 (Finchwood, Marple, Derbyshire), Mr & Mrs Schiefflein (New York), Mr J.H. Payne (Birmingham).

The Lygon Cottage, Charles Drury: Mr & Mrs John Baker and family (Pershore)

North Place Mrs John White: Mr & Mrs J.H. Bacon (Highgate)

North Street, Mrs C. Bunn: Mr Dyer (Cambridge)

Russell House Cottage: The Misses Barnard5

The Knapp Farm, Mrs S. Savage: Mr Peach (Straford-upon-Avon), Captain Henry Allfrey6 (Stratford)

The Swan Hotel, Mr J. Brick: Miss Maun (Bridgnorth) and Mr A. Maun (Shrewsbury), Mr F.W. Land (Leamington), Mr H. Jenkins, Mr C. Daniel, Mr W. Perrot (Bordesley)

 

Notes:

  1. The Morris family were Irish landed gentry who had inherited part of the estate of the Frenchs of Errislannan and they had a house in Ballinaboy, Co. Galway.
  2. J. W. Gale was a wholesale dealer in staple and fancy dry goods, woollens, tailors’ furnishings, and gents’ furnishings with premises at 24 and 26 Wellington Street West, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Gale was the manufacturer of the celebrated “Gale Shirt Collars and Cuffs”.
  3. James Bettner Ludlow (1859-1921). James Ludlow was an expert on real estate law. Most of his time was employed in the management of the estate owned by himself and his sister, Annie, which embraced most of the water front of South Yonkers in New York.
  4. Joel Wainwright was a naturalist, author of ‘Memories of Marple’ and one of the publishers of The Strines Journal.
  5. Frederick Barnard’s daughters, Dorothy and Polly, served as the models for John Singer Sargent’s painting Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose which was painted in Broadway in the mid 1880s.
  6. Henry Allfrey was born on 9th September 1850. He was educated at Cheltenham College and entered the army in 1868, being gazetted Ensign on 19th May to the 2nd Battalion 60th Rifles. Promoted Lieutenant on 28th October 1871 and Captain on 29th September 1880. He saw service during the Zulu War. Captain Allfrey was the father of Lieutenant General Sir Charles Walter Allfrey, Commanding Officer of V Corps in North Africa and Italy 1942-44.

 

 

Debbie Williamson
Broadway History Society

 

 

 

 

1724: Highwayman John Tawney Executed for Stage Coach Robbery in Broadway

Gloucester Castle keep: the old county gaol. Based on an 1819 work, from W. Andrew, ‘Old English Towns’, published 1909. Via Wikimedia Commons.

In August 1724, John Tawney, of Ampney Crucis, Gloucestershire, was executed in Over1 near Gloucester after being found guilty at the County Assizes of the charge of highway robbery on the London to Worcester coaching route above Broadway.

Born in Ampney Crucis to parents who were described as being “honest parents” who gave him “sufficient competency to begin the world with”, Tawney reportedly kept “wicked company”. Aged 30 at the time of his conviction, Tawney was married with four children.

At his trial in August 1724, Tawney admitted that he had in the previous two years been involved in several highway robberies including robbing 20 people going to Cirencester Fair. On the night he attacked the London Worcester Stage Coach, Tawney was accompanied by an accomplice called Stutley. Tawney admitted that they broke in to stables owned by Mr Lillington at Wotton-under-Edge to steal horses which they used to ride to the hill above Broadway where they attacked and robbed the occupants of the coach. Captain Bissel, who was on the coach, prevented Tawney and Stutley from making off with their bounty and they fled the scene.

Tawney was tracked down and was held at Gloucester Castle, which at the time served as the county gaol. Before Tawney was hanged at Over he was reported in the papers as  “being very sullen”. Before going to the gallows, Tawney allowed a Minister to pray with him and he was pressed by the Minister to reveal the whereabouts of his accomplice Stutley and another man he had mentioned during his trial but he refused to reveal their whereabouts.

 

Debbie Williamson
Broadway History Society

 

Notes:

  1. Prior to 1792, executions at Gloucester took place in the village of Over 2 miles from the city. The condemned were conveyed to the gallows in carts, sitting on their own coffins.

 

 

 

 

How Broadway celebrated VE Day in 1945

VE Day, Tuesday 8th May 1945, was celebrated by villagers with a parade down the High Street and a large bonfire and gathering on the village green which lasted through to the Wednesday evening.

George Keyte, retired village postman of Bibsworth Avenue, Broadway, supplied the celebrations with a couple of large barrels of cider which was given away free to revellers.

Special church services were held in all the churches and houses across the village were decorated with flags and bunting, with several floodlit after dark.

7A3D64A5-7B27-4E18-829B-23253A4F6F72

Broadway History Society
8th May 2020

Next Talk Monday 16th March: Broadway’s Schools

The next meeting and talk hosted by Broadway History Society will take place on Monday 16th March 2020. Starting at 7pm in the Lifford Memorial Hall, Councillor Elizabeth Eyre will be giving an illustrated talk entitled Broadway’s Schools.

Elizabeth’s talk will cover the day to day running of the schools in Broadway including Broadway National School from its opening to its relocation on Lime Tree Avenue. Although there have been private schools in the village, Broadway’s village school, at The Old Schools, was the main centre of education from the mid 19th century1 until it closed on 22nd December 1914 and then new Broadway Council School2 on Lime Tree Avenue was opened on 12th January 1915.

All welcome. Non-members £3 on the door. Refreshments will be served before the talk.

 

Debbie Williamson
Broadway History Society

1. In 1855, when Sarah Ann Hedgecock was school mistress, there were 15 boy and 25 girl pupils enrolled at Broadway National School. From 1880, Horatio Kilwood was School Master with Miss Edith, Prince Mistress of the Infants and from 1883, William ‘Billy’ Timms who moved to Broadway Council School in 1915 with Miss Clements, Mistress of the Infants.
2. The building of the new Broadway Council School by Epsleys & Co, started on 16th March 1914. When the new school opened, on 12th January 1915, it could accommodate 170 pupils. The staff were: William Timms (Head), and teachers Miss Edith Timms, Miss Edith Neal and Miss Maud Colllins.