Tudor House (formerly The Angel Inn)

Tudor House was purpose built in the 17th century as a coaching inn, The Angel, to serve the Ludlow to London route. In 1691 the innkeeper was William Willis. The Inn later become a private residence and its name was changed to Tudor House.

Tudor House, Broadway
Tudor House, High Street, Broadway

 

Residents of Tudor House have included:

  • William Willis (innkeeper).
  • In the late 1800s: Plaxton Samuel Carless until his death in 1892 when the house was sold by auction on 27 September 1892.
  • As tenants from 1899 to 1907: Captain John William ‘James’ Rodgers ( Rogers) (1844-1907) and Mrs Rodgers. Also of Fromore, The Lickey, Bromsgrove and formerly of Liverpool. Capt Rodgers was a master mariner and later a part proprietor of The Prince of Wales Theatre, Birmingham.
  • 1907 to 1910: Mr & Mrs Benjamin Chandler
  • Sir Richard Amphlett Lamb & Mrs Katrina Lamb
  • Mr G.B. Hudson
  • Mrs Arthur
  • Mr Frederick George Wells
  • Mr Henry W. Keil – for 80 years it was the headquarters of H.W. Keil Ltd.

Tudor House has been extended and adapted over the years but still retains many of its original features and architectural flourishes reflecting trends of the passing eras. Since 2013 it has been home to Broadway Museum and Art Gallery.

Tudor House, Broadway
Tudor House, High Street, Broadway (formerly the Angel Inn)