Prior’s Manse, High Street, Broadway, dates back to the 14th century and was built c1320 (about the same time as Abbot’s Grange) probably for the Steward of the Abbots of Pershore.
The architecture of the house, the mouldings of the doorways, tie-beams and tooling of the ashlar wall facing date the house to the c1350. The house is built as a ‘Great Hall’ (now divided into two stories) intersected by a passage way, with a typical 14th century stone doorway at either end.
In medieval times, the house had a large tithe-barn attached to its upper east end which was demolished in 1877 to make way for a general store and then a grocer’s shop (at one time owned by John Morris). This in turn as demolished to allow the widening of the corner with the Leamington Road (previously known as Willersey Road).
Now a private residence the house was once a popular tea room opened by Miss A.C. Russell. The house has been remodelled over the years and in 1957, the garage was converted into a dentist’s surgery.
Photos of Prior’s Manse when it was a tea room: