Located on a major coaching route between London and Worcester, Broadway has had at various times nearly 30 hotels, inns and cider-houses.
The Angel Inn: now Tudor House.
The Baker’s Arms, Church Street (once known as Chapel Street). In 1912 the licence was transferred from Thomas Alfred Harris (who took over the licence of the Eight Bells Inn in Chipping Campden) to George Marshall. One of the last landlords was Giles Stephens. Now called Bannits (converted into a home by Mr & Mrs Rees Price).
Barn House: was a cider house.
The Bell and Crown Inn: 1800s (next to the Angel Inn).
The Blackbird: 69 High Street
The Boot: was in the stable yard of Cotswold House. The landlord in 1840 was John Castle and in 1855, John Parker.
The Butcher’s Arms: site unknown.
Coach and Horses Inn: a farm until 1837 when it was converted in to a pub, now a row of cottages.
- 1855 – Edward Stephens (also coach proprietor)
- 1880 – Charles Alcock (also carrier)
- 1896 – William Roberts
- In 1901 dances and dance classes were held a the Inn. Fred Stokes’ band played, John Cotterell was often MC.
- 1940 – Mr & Mrs Harold Keyte
- November 1954: the licence was transferred to Mr Ivor Harold Skinner.
- April 1957: Mr Albert Hamish Amison (ret’d army officer).
Cowley House: was once a cider-house.
Crown Inn: in the 1820s the inn had 15 bedrooms, extensive stables for 25 horses and grounds of two acres. The inn was sold by Mr Edward Halford, the owner, in April 1826 and continued as an inn providing guest accommodation until the mid 1800s. The inn later became the Reading Rooms at Eadburgha House.
The Ewe and Lamb: near Jefferies’ stables.
Fish Inn: built in 1822. The landlord was Robert Stanley followed by Sam Cotterell. Then Mrs Harrison.
Fox & Dog: next to Pond Close which became Arnold’s shop. In 1855 the landlord was Emmanuel Perry.
The George: site unknown.
Horse & Hound (was the New Inn)
The King’s Arms: the old Court farmhouse, later a private school, Picton House. It was here that the Royal Sovereign Coach used to change horses on its way between Worcester and London.
The Laurels: was once an inn.
The Lygon Arms formerly The White Hart Inn
The New Inn (now the Horse & Hound)
- Mr & Mrs Cotterell
- Mr & Mrs George Donald Harris (1940s).
The Old Bell: Bell Yard c1744.
Rogues’ Hall: site unknown, possibly Church/Chapel Street
The Royal Exchange: opposite the Fox & Dog.
Swan Inn: the original Swan is now Russell House.
- 1840 – Joseph Hawkes
- February 1872 – The licence of the inn transferred from Mr William Halling to Mr James Brick who ran the inn with his wife and daughter, Minnie until the early 1900s.
- May 1901 – Annual Postmen’s Dinner was held at the Swan. Broadway postmen present included H. Box, A. Parker and Arthur Knight.
- 1930s – Mr E. Goostrey and later Mr H.J.H. Saunders
- 1940s – Charles Chapple. His wife, Winnie Lilian Chapple was granted the licence when Charles joined the Forces after the outbreak of the Second World War.
- 1960s – Mr & Mrs Wherrett (Flowers Inn)
Tower View: was once a cider house.
The Trumpet or Crown and Trumpet, Church Street (Chapel Street): In 1840 the inn was owned by Mr. T Clark.
May 1862: the licence transferred from Mr William Smith to Mr George Fairbrothers.
In the 1930s the licensee was Mrs Edith Nellie Kenniwell.
1940s: Mr & Mrs John Turner.
In November 1954, the licence was transferred from Mr John Kenniwell to Mr Albert J. Gretener.
1960s: Mr Guy Arthur William Haslam and later Mr Alan Scott.
Tuck Mill, Childswickham Road: Cider-house run by the Crump family.
The White Horse: In 1840, the landlord was Israel Charlwood. After it was demolished it was rebuilt as a private house ‘Ivy Bank’, now Orchard Close.
Wychwood House: was once a cider-house.
Extracted from “Old Days in and Around Evesham” published in The Evesham Journal and Four Shires Advertiser, 22 November 1949.