Publication: Evesham Journal 1969
This year sees the 80th Anniversary of the business of Lloyds Bank, Broadway.
Broadway is one of the most popular of Cotswold villages and with its pretty golden coloured stone houses and the grass-verged wide main street, it attracts many visitors from far and wide.
Perhaps a few of these visitors, who stop and refresh themselves at the Lygon Bar may wonder what Broadway was like before the arrival of the motor car. The Lygon Bar did not exist and the premises it occupies today are originally used by the Capital & Counties Bank for their first sub-branch in the village when they opened for business in 1889.
At that time on the opposite side of the road, there was a cottage owned by Mr C. Hill, a boot and shoe maker, and adjoining his cottage was a butcher’s shop. Behind the bank the North Cotswold Hunt housed their pack and the story goes that it was not a too unfamiliar sight for the local people to see one of the canine inmates running across the road, stealing a tasty joint from the butcher’s slab, and making off up the main street pursued by an irate butcher.
Life continued in a leisurely fashion. In 1915 the Capital & Counties Bank acquired Mr Hill’s cottage, which as demolished and the present building erected. On completion of the new premises, the branch moved across the road, and it was upgraded to a full branch under the managership of a Mr Everitt. Three years later in 1918, the Capital & Counties Bank was absorbed by Lloyds Bank.
Since then there have been no spectacular changes in the business but it has prospered slowly and surely. In 1962, it became necessary to have the premises enlarged and they were also completely modernised.
The present manager of the branch is Mr H.G. Lamb, and he and his staff hope that the branch will continue to serve the local community for many years to come.