Toc H’s Gift to Broadway – Bus Shelter Fills Long-Felt Want

Publication: Evesham Journal, 15 September 1951

Broadway September 1951
September 1951 (left to right): Mrs Freeman, A.V. Freeman, Mrs Robinson, R.T.T. Kendall, Rev. V.H. Patrick, Rev. Price, H.B. Wyn Evans, R. Ayshford Sanford, General Lord Ismay
©The Evesham Journal & Four Shires Advertiser

A ‘bus shelter at the front of Broadway Old Schools, built with Cotswold stone and containing a wooden seat, which has been provided by the Broadway branch of Toc H, was formally handed over to the people of Broadway by General Lord Ismay.

Mr A. Bridgeman (oldest Toc H member, deputising for the branch chairman, Mr R. Pritchard) said Toc H were indebted to many friends who had helped to provide the shelter, which had been designed by one of their own members, Mr Andrew Dempster, LRIBA. The Vicar and the School trustees had cooperated , and Mr George Foster, the builder, had helped in a generous way.

Disclosing he had been a Toc H member for more than 25 years and was keenly interested in all its doings, Lord Ismay congratulated the Broadway branch on its work and expressed his conviction that the shelter would long serve a useful purpose.

Mr D.G.S. Russelll (Parish Council vice-chairman) accepted the gift on behalf of the chairman (Mr A. Renfrew) and also thanked Toc H, speaking of other good work being done by its members. Mr Jack Hanglin thanked Lord Ismay for being present.

Later Toc H entertained about 60 invited guests to tea in the Old Schoolrooms.