100 years ago today, during the afternoon of Tuesday 31st August 1920, an auction of Broadway land and property was held by E.G. Righton & Son in the Swan Hotel.
Lot 1 comprised a freehold stone cottage on the High Street along with a leasehold stone cottage, stabling, store rooms and walled garden, let to Miss Parker, Mrs Stanley and Mrs Diston at the rate of £19 per annum.
Lot 2 was Buckland Wood Farm with its stone house and various outbuilding comprising a slate roofed barn, 15.2 acres of pasture and a top field of 10 acres. The land was advertised as being “Capital Dairy Land” with good shooting. At the time it was let to Mr C.T. Scott, Master of Fox Hounds at the rate of £65 per annum.
Lot 3 comprised two fields of productive pasture (referenced as Nos 274 and 236 on the Ordnance Survey Map) known as Lower Battenhanger1 and Wheat Furlough totalling between 29 and 30 acres on the slope of the Cotswold hills above Broadway about half a mile from the centre of the village.
Lot 4 was advertised as a “Superior Pasture Field” of 22 acres called Battenhanger (ref. 275 on the OS Map and adjacent to Lot 3). The land had a water supply was leased to Mr Smith with a rent of £85 per annum.
Broadway History Society
1. Lower Battenhanger, Wheat Furlough and Battenhanger are fields south of the High Street and east of the Snowshill Road. The 1923 Ordnance Survey Map of the village does not have field 236 recorded but field 235, adjacent to Lower Battenhanger is noted as being Wheat Furlough.